'86 Mondial Coupe - Coolant: Hoses or Pipe.... | FerrariChat

'86 Mondial Coupe - Coolant: Hoses or Pipe....

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by BOKelley, Aug 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    ...running the length of the belly pan?

Perusing the workshop manuals I thought my car had pipe. But when I get under the front of the car to replace what I thought would be short sections of hose, I find what looks to be longer lengths running to the rear. The front hose clamps are visible but see nothing inside the pan. Fearing there is almost 30 year old hose in there!

Brock

2. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    #2 enzo360, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Has anyone replaced these with Silicon hose? If not, why not?

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  5. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Thanks Wade and Jurgen, I searched on Belly Pan Hoses and got nothing much...go figure. Also got the car up in the air this afternoon and yes, looks to be the original hose is still in place. I don't have the engine out so will be looking at pulling the hoses from the front. Oh boy, looks like fun and trying not to let the fact that the original hoses still look pretty good sway me.

Any horror stories of these failing....other than the dude who managed to put drywall screws through one of his?

Brock

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I never heard of the long ones failing, that I recall. But it was a "while I'm in there" sort of project.

FYI, they're a lot easier to remove than install. For me anyway, and the silicon tubes have a smaller OD then OEM.

Oh, and if you're buying "generic" hoses, then make sure you get the size that fits the appropriate year.

7. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    My central cooling hoses didn't leak or burst, but delaminated on the inside. The previous owner changed (or let it change) only the lower long hose. I was missled with this, because the lower was like brandnew.
    When I pulled the upper, I saw things I've never seen happening like this to rubber hoses.

I wrote down my story:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/504097-temp-slowly-creeping-up.html

also take a look at the YT video I made.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Interesting, thanks.

"The primary cause of coolant hose failure as an electrochemical attack on the rubber tube compound in the hose."

http://www.gatesaustralia.com.au/~/media/files/gates-au/automotive/brochures/cooling-system-and-hose-products/ecd-hose-flyer-aus--nz-november-2008.pdf

What is Electrochemical Degradation?

9. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
  10. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Yes, very interesting....Bart, how was the antifreeze percentage in the vehicle in which the hose failed?

I made the mistake of running too low a percentage of antifreeze in my 73 BMW tii and all sorts of bad things happened...mostly on the aluminum coolant fittings mounted on the iron block where the aluminum was eaten away from the same phenomenon, electrochemical degradation. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to the insides of the hoses at the time.

Brock

11. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I'm sorry. I didn't measure it.

The car was sitting for at least 10 years, for me it was clear it needed all fluids refreshed.
    Later with the new coolant I got intermittant cooling issues. Sometimes the car ran hot, on other times all went ok. So I dug in deep and found the faulty hose.

12. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Thanks Bart, just curious if you knew. What I learned about coolant from my experience with the BMW is that straight or near straight water is a very bad thing for the metals. Apparently the electrochemical action can wreak havoc with some elastomers as well...

Brock