Headlight stalk switch (in centre column) | FerrariChat

Headlight stalk switch (in centre column)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Frevawan, Aug 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frevawan

Frevawan Rookie

Feb 12, 2006
    Bruges, Belgium
    Hi,

I suspect the internal selector switch mechanism, inside the steering wheel column, is damaged on my Mondial QV. When rotating the knob at the end of the stal they pop up but actually making the headlights to work is utterly random.
    We looked at the wireloom and managed to get them working, isolating the problem to a mechanical failure.

I'm dismantling the steering wheel and need a puller to do this but in the meantime:

- Has anyone had a similar problem? (the rotaing knob itself is fine, wires still soldered on and ball/spring present).
    - Any tips in trying to get to that switch? are there drawings available?
    - Is it known who (wich company) made these stalks for Ferrari and are there aftermarket units available?

Thx!

2. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey,

From my own experience, the cause is rarely located in the main switch itself, most of the time it's the ground at the headlights or the fusebox. I do have some main switches in stock, but first investigate the cause of the issue.

Technical schemas can be found on the internet.

3. Frevawan

Frevawan Rookie

Feb 12, 2006
    Bruges, Belgium
    Thx for the advise!

We do however think its mechanical as they do work if you fiddle around a bit with the stalk. I suspect a crack or bent part somewhere causing faulty contact.
    We bypassed this switch and made some connections directly on the loom connectors, seeing that this works. So mass and fusebox can be excluded.

Do you mean you have these switches available? What would the price be in case my stalk is beyond repair?

Greets

4. Frevawan

Frevawan Rookie

Feb 12, 2006
    Bruges, Belgium
    Also: the wiring diagrams I have, I was wondering if an exploded view was known of the steering column.

5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Yes, I have these available, but first investigate which part it is and if it can be fixed easily. You can always PM me if you need a replacement for it.

6. Frevawan

Frevawan Rookie

Feb 12, 2006
    Bruges, Belgium
    #7 Frevawan, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Send the stalk to Verell at unobtaniumsupply.com

He will mold a new pivot end.

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Hello Frevawan,
    Don't waste your time trying to repair it yourself that pivot end is badly broken & there isn't a repair material that will adhere to that particular plastic. I frequently get stalks with failed owner repair attempts.

I repair 3-5 column switches/month, & have the molds to form new pivot ends out of fibreglass reinforced polyurethane.

See my web site for instructions on shipping the stalk to me: Unobtainium Supply Co.—HOME

If you have any questions send email.

9. Frevawan

Frevawan Rookie

Feb 12, 2006
    Bruges, Belgium
    Hi, I did see your website and you seem to deliver an excellent service.
    Problem is I'm located in Belgium (central Europe) and am a bit worried sending the stalk so far away. On top of that it needs to come back too. So many things can go wrong.
    On top of that our customs will treat this as automotive parts and charge me, appart from VAT an additional import charge, allthough I did sent it out initially...

I might be able to buy a replacement unit here in Belgium, if that doesn't work out I will come back to you.

Best Regards,
    Frederik

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I understand your concern about risk.

However, since I started in 2003 I have had literally several hundred European customers mail me switches & stalks for repair & return w/o a single loss.

As for customs duties, I recommend customers clearly identify the item as being sent for repairs on their export paperwork, & I identify it as a 'repaired item returning to owner'.

It often, but not always results in no customs charges. Sometimes the duties are only on the repair costs.

11. Frevawan

Frevawan Rookie

Feb 12, 2006
    Bruges, Belgium
    Thank you for the advice, I will certainly take this into account.
    For now I have a temporary fix as I need to get my Mondial through its annual technical controle. Without it I can't drive on public roads. After this I have a year to get it properly fixed.
    Grts

12. Frevawan

Frevawan Rookie

Feb 12, 2006
    Bruges, Belgium
    Hi Guys,

I managed to temporary repair and reassemble the stalk assembly yesterday.
    It works perfectly, keeping in mind to use the "soft" touch :)
    I can now go to the technical control and plan a permanent fix after that.

Grts

13. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    That's great, nice work!

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Frevawan

Since you only have 8 posts on Fchat, let me help you out.

I can vouch for Verell to be a long time contributor and upstanding member of the Ferrari community. Please do not hesitate to buy from or send things to Verell for service. You will not find a better man or vendor.

15. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Thanks for the info. I recently picked up an '88 3.2 Euro and headlights don't work. I turn the knobs on the lights and they'll pop up and down quickly. Turn signals work but no action from the headlight stalk when turning it. The interior lights don't come on either.

I have 2 dash switches for foglights (I think) that don't do anything nor the P switch in the center counsel (assume parking lights?). I checked all the fuses and all good. Planning to pull the plastic off to check the stalk next weekend.

16. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I second this. Verell is an old world guy, very creative, talented and responsible. His products are first rate and I trust him completely.

17. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Udpate:
    Sure enough pulled back to the plastic knob and the both wires had lost their solder points. Touched them back on and lights came up in working order with high beams. Took the info from the thread, cleaned then up and re-soldered them. The ground was hard as not easy to solder upside anymore (reminds of the teenage year installing stereos). Trick there was some foil on the floorboard not to burn any carpet or leave marks.

I'll see how bright they are tonight. The last owner who had the car for 15 years (friend) told me they stopped working in 2010.

HOWEVER, while shaking it down lastnight and checking fuses I knocked loose a wire from the main plug at the end of the fuse box. Went to start and no dice as it sounded like not getting gas. The needles in the dash panel not moving. I knew that was the only thing different/touched from the last start. I ran a jumper clip to wire to metal connector in the plastic wiring clip and started right up. Went back and re-soldered that wire back in.

18. Frevawan

Frevawan Rookie

Feb 12, 2006
    Bruges, Belgium
    Thanks guys!

I have just send him a mail to get the stalk properly fixed now. Allthough it's temporarly working, I need it in good condition for the future.

Regards,

Frederik

19. Frevawan

Frevawan Rookie

Feb 12, 2006
    Bruges, Belgium
    Hi,

As closure on this topic, stalk is back in Belgium after the repair from Verell (with an in-between stop in Turkey - US postal likes to give us additional stress sometimes! ;-) ) and installed.
    Headlights work fine now.

Just wanted to thank Verell form Unobtainable for the quick turnaround on my repair, tomorrow I'll be able to go to the final technical check up, just in time!

Thanks for the support guys!

20. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen