Explain to me....Oil | FerrariChat

Explain to me....Oil

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by BOKelley, Aug 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    #1 BOKelley, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is not a thread on which oil is best to keep my engine well lubricated and running for the next century, no this one has to do with capacity. And being a happy idiot, I sometimes repeat my misadventures because, well just because I do.

In this case my plan was to get the Major Service mechanical finished and start the engine and let it warm up. I do that for a couple of reasons, one to make sure I have no obvious leaks and two, because the engine has been open for three months, get the oil circulating and flush the system with the old oil and then do an oil and filter change.

After warming the oil up, I drained it and then came in and did a quick check of my manual for the amount needed. Ten liters, check. I promptly add 10 L and gave a quick check on the dipstick....holy crap, way overfilled. So then I found my oil sump pump that was used for a sailboat I used to own and it dawned on me...there was a bit of purple oil in the suction line left over the last time I overfilled the FCar. Crap....

My first thought, what is wrong with my dipstick (and maybe thinking I was the dipstick) so I measured it and at 24.5 inches is in the range of what is reported here. I slept on it and decided to check the manual once again this morning...

So...looking at the pic in my manual, it indeed states capacity of 10 liters. What I hadn't paid attention to, is the diagram to the right...which rather obliquely says, capacity at max is 8 liters and min is 6 L. Is this the Italian way of telling me to fill my crankcase with only 8 liters of oil?

Brock
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    AFAIK, 10L is the total oil capacity with filter, and oil in trapped places like cam baths, etc. It's the rebuild fill.

8L is your oil change fill. Remember to check the oil level after its been cycled through the filter and allow time to drain back to sump (providing wet sump). 8 liters is roughly 8.5 quarts.

On another note, congrats on completing all that work on the engine.

3. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Thanks John...In looking at it I suppose that the oil cooler and lines to and fro are the biggest reservoirs. Even the oil filter, given enough time, should drain back to the sump. I know this because I have tried removing the filter too soon after engine shut down but given sufficient time is no problem with leakage.

Thanks again for the conformation...

Brock

4. felkind

felkind Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Nashua, NH
    Full Name:
    Fred
    We recently changed to synthetic oil as part of an engine-in almost major project. We were also surprised at the limited quantity of synthetic that we could fit. We assumed we somehow hadn't drained it all but everything seems fine with the 8+ quarts and she runs well with proper pressure.

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    proper speced filters for 3X8 series engines should have an internal stand pipe which prevents drain back. It does not eliminate it completely, but it will/should be minimal when removed at any time

6. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Over the years I have learned that I should trust my intuition more. In this case I had the thought that there wasn't 10 L of oil in the drain pan and did I somehow not drain it all. It wasn't until after I overfilled the case that I checked, and sure enough, only about 7 L. There is definitely a lot of oil hanging up in the system!

Brock

7. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Ah...good to know as well!