Advice on Mondial T | FerrariChat

Advice on Mondial T

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by christiandk, Aug 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christiandk

christiandk Rookie

Aug 25, 2016
    Hi Guys,

I have had Porsches for 23 years and am a longtime member on Pelican. I am currently Porscheless and I am on the look for something different.

I found a nice blue T with 52kms on the clock. It has just had a major service with clutch and cambelt.

My question is. Are there any unwritten rules on when the engine and gearbox should be rebuilt? Not that I agree, but some say that a 3.2 Carrera is due for a top end around 100k mls etc.

Why is a T considered relatively high milage at 52K Kms when a 91 944, 928 or 911 would be considered low milage? I dont get it - but again I know little about F-cars.

Cheers from Copenhagen

Christian

2. Neumann

Neumann Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jesper Neumann
    Hello Christian
    I would not say, that 52K kms is a lot. Last year, I saw a Mondial T with 208k kms on the clock. I have seen several 308`s with around 200k kms too. Its not a problem, if the car is well maintained. My Mondi has done 94K kms, and I have absolute no problems.

I have seen the T coupe you are talking about, and it looks great in that colour. The price seems to be reasonable too.

Cheers

Jesper

3. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    +1

Very well engineered engine. The more you use them they better they get.
    Not quite upto 928 levels where reaching 500K miles might require a top-end rebuild, but the 348 engine should be driven as regularly as possible with zero worry. Frugal for a Ferrari too, around 25MPG on a steady run :)

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I don't believe a 3.2L Carrera engine needs valve job at 100K. I think the 348 is pretty solid too.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Because most Porsches are intended for and were used as daily drivers while Ferraris as considered as weekend toys or collectibles. However, I would expect that Euro Mondial t Coupes were sold and used as DDs, but they get "grouped" as Ferraris in regards to perceptions on what's considered "high mileage".

6. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Welcome to the weird world of Ferrari "Museum" cars.....for some reason there is/was a perception that low mileage 80/90s cars were more desirable...BS its a car drive it!

Its not a Porsche but if you know how to tinker you will have no issues!

7. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    the 348 engine if normally cared for and nothing special beyond changing the fluids and managing the tuneups is rock solid. I don't see problems with that engine at especially that mileage.

BTW: What is the year of the car you are looking at? Might it be a Valeo?

8. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello everyone

I am new to this forum (my presentation thread is beeing under validation approval) and I am in a similar situation as the op.

Looking for a Mondial T but I am quite frightened by some gearbox story; ie bearing and/or gear.

I would like to know what is the real deal regarding this particular point. Is this due to some abuse/bad luck or is it a normal wear from a certain mileage (is a non rebuilt gearbox safe till 80/100kmiles?).

Can we say that T transmissions are more reliable than the olders?

Thanks

9. christiandk

christiandk Rookie

Aug 25, 2016
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Have a great weekend!

10. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Transmissions have not been an issue. Same as the 348 and same design for the 355.

The only issue is hard shifting into 2nd gear for many when cold. Basically a minor design flaw, can be fixed if it really bothers you.

Engine and transmission are not issues on these cars.

Regards,
    Jerry

11. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Not true. There is some kind of collar that prevents a nut in the transmission from loosening and it is staked at the factory with a punch. Some of these have worked loose. Also there have been cases of seals incorrectly installed after a clutch job that then led to bigger problems. But the real issue with T cars is not the drivetrain it's the electronics (esp abs) and the a/c. And of course the dreaded engine out every x years.

12. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Correct, I'm currently having my transmission overhauled after 100K km. Most of the bearings have completely worn out and I'm lucky all gears are still OK. These bearings are very difficult to obtain and expensive! Engine out big service is indeed much more expensive than with a QV or 3.2. Most of the issues are with the gearbox, next to that ABS and other electronic issues

13. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

Thanks for your answers, this is raising me further questions!:

I have indeed read about these famous locknuts. Is this thread referring to these nuts:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/236842-another-348-gearbox-takeapart.html

If yes, it looks like that the retightening can be done without opening the gearbox, correct?

Stekkefun4, in your case were the worn bearings due to the loosening of these nuts or just normal wear?

I have also read about a gearbox inspection panel. Do you think that lots of thing can be seen through this panel? Is a check for metal on the gearbox drain plug and one visual/magnetic check through the inspection panel enough to ensure from the health of the gearbox?

I have also indeed read that the bearing looks to be quite expensive and rare. Is it impossible to source them from the different bearing manufacturer (SKF, ..)?

A part from that, I haven't really been able to find what is the real deal regarding ABS and air conditioning issue on these cars?

I have understand that the fusebox is quite dodgy and that the alternator is under designed and must be replaced quite often together with its battery!

14. christiandk

christiandk Rookie

Aug 25, 2016
    Thanks for the hijack and taking my post in a different direction.��

15. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Sorry, thought my question were in the same direction as you in fact and that you would benefit as much as me of the answers.

16. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Christian In the circle that Im in Mondial T/348/355 there is a group called Stooges you will read about it over in the 348 thread

In my experience with these guys the T /348 are good mechanically and race proven. Its a Ferrari enjoy it.

17. christiandk

christiandk Rookie

Aug 25, 2016
    No problemo, its fine.

And thanks for the replies all.

Have a nice Sunday and enjoy your cars

18. christiandk

christiandk Rookie

Aug 25, 2016
    No problemo, its fine.

And thanks for the replies all.

Have a nice Sunday and enjoy your cars

19. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    The reason Ferrari buyers are paranoid about major services and miles is the exorbitant cost of servicing and parts. Ferrari studiously uses unique parts. If you buy the "wrong" car you can easily buy it twice.

20. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    ... although, the bearings appear to be SKF units and getting in touch with SKF directly reduces the overall cost. In my case there were a lot of noises coming from the gearbox and after having lost 8K euro to an imposter here in Belgium, the gearbox issues were not solved. I am lucky I finally found a shop that knows what it's doing because they're doing this on Ferrari's all day long.

21. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    The subject Is Mondial T

Very dependable Ferrari!

Go to this website and check out about the Ts twin 348 ALL the info you need to know
    My Ferrari 348

22. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Great thread, got it all going on:

Hijacked first and then our resident troll has to kick in moaning about the high cost of service parts for a car he no longer even owns.

Ignore? - click, again.

Alden