Heat in Foot well | FerrariChat

Heat in Foot well

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by drbruno, Aug 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Hey Group,

I'm very much enjoying my 1989 Mondial t cab. I find it very therapeutic to go out after a long days work and drive it for about 25-20 miles. The weather here has been great for top down weather.

One thing I've noticed is that there is consistent convected heat coming from the driver's side footwell when the car gets up to temperature. There is no heat blowing from a vent, it simply gets hot under there and I feel it. The temperature gauge reads at 195 and the oil temp is just above 200 so all is well there.

I would really like to get rid of this heat, but understand that I can live with it if it is considered 'normal'.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts,

Bruno

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Probably heat coming from the coolant pipes that go from the rear engine to the front radiator. I would say it's "normal". You would need some kind of mod like a heat shield, or insulation on the pipes in that area to prevent it.

3. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Have the same issue....please let me know if there is a reason/ solution....things look a bit 'naked' under my dash....I wonder if we are missing something?

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    The valve that allows hot coolant to flow to the heater core may be stuck open, there are also two vents under the dash that could be leaking hot air. I sealed my under dash vents so everything comes out the center, defrost and side vents on the top of the dash.

I dont feel any heat coming from the drivers footwell. So I doubt what you feel is normal.
    Alden

5. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
  6. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Don't think it's normal. The temp in the cockpit is approximately 10 degrees hotter than outside with the top down. I'll investigate further this weekend and report back when I have a diagnosis.

7. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Looking forward to hearing about your findings, I just got in from driving mine, as fun as it was, hell it got warm in the car....

8. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Having the same issue, I rang my mechanic.....he reckons its simply a stuck open vent. I'll have to wait for next weekend, but he reckons I need to get under there and manually shut it.....an odd issue, but not looking like a serious one

9. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Even if the vent is open it shouldn't be putting out hot air unless the heater valve is open

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

10. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    ditto