Bottons on dash issue... | FerrariChat

Bottons on dash issue...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by kitreid, Sep 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Here I go again, developing a love/hate relationship with these wonderful cars.
    My hood, boot, and petrol cap won't function, however the petrol cap will if I persist.
    Until today, they were all working fine.
    It started at the petrol station, flap didn't open straight away....returning to the car, battery was flat, this was incredibly embarrassing as not everyone likes a Ferrari that won't start in a petrol station holding everyone up....anyway, get it home, charge the battery fully, and buttons still don't function. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The easiest and cheapest check is to use contact cleaner. I have deoxit. Disconnect battery. Spray deoxit into switch from around edges. Cycle the switch back and forth many times. Let it dry. Connect power and check function. This is all I did for a few and they have been good for several years. Several going bad at once suggests something else. But one working with persistence suggests this will work. Good luck.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #3 mike32, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Sounds like you have lost the power supply to all the buttons. Fuse no2 supplies the refuelling cap and no 3 supplies the front and rear bonnets according to the wiring dia. Check the board is supplying 12 volts to the inlet side of the fuse, plus the fuses them self.
    Looking at the fuses no 1 should be empty
    Looking at the wiring diagram it appears there are 2 main 12 volt feeds to the fuse box - 1 to the left hand side and the other to the right hand side. Have you lost supply anywhere else ?

4. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Thank you for your replies guys. Regarding the contact cleaner, you mean spray on the switch it self?
    No I don't think I have lost power anywhere else....as I said, I did have a bad battery.
    I wonder if that's the case? However car starts and runs.....

5. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    How long has its been since you've gone through each fuse and connector in the fuse box? should been done every couple years

yes you can spray around the edge of the button just make sure the power is off

6. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    just last week I changed all the fuses, and sprayed cleaner in there also.....

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I used spray switch cleaner too, it took a few applications but eventually everything started to work. Now if I don't use Kato for more than 3weeks things stop working again..... It's Katos way of saying 'bloody drive me!'
    Normally after a days driving everything starts working again.

8. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Lol....really?....so did u spray the dash bottons also?

9. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I used spray switch cleaner too, it took a few applications but eventually everything started to work. Now if I don't use Kato for more than 3weeks things stop working again..... It's Katos way of saying 'bloody drive me!'
    Normally after a days driving everything starts working again.

10. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
  11. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
  12. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Yes, for sure !
    And it prevents oxidating the surfaces.
    I am very very satisfied with it.

13. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Great thanks.....ill try find some and see if it wakes things up

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The method I suggested is not ideal. I'm suggesting oxidation within the switch is the issue of course. One would be better off to access the back side of the switch to get the contact cleaner into the contacts. Spraying around the edges from the top clearly is not ideal but sometimes can kick the can down the road as Bell has explained.

15. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Dirk I think your method as you described is excellent and it's served me perfectly for over 4 years. I'm guessing that the switches are probably not plated and so oxidise a little when left for a while, add also the damp UK climate.
    All the best Bell

16. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Well, yes apparently so!
    My Battery was lying to me...showed strong volts, but after taking it out I gave it a load test and its has poor current. So this is why it left me stranded.
    The buttons however still didn't work after replacing the battery. I drove it for a while at full temp, and the front bonnet now works! go figure.....no however, using my wipers blows fuses!.