Winter tyres | FerrariChat

Winter tyres

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by bimbomancini, Sep 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bimbomancini

bimbomancini Karting

Dec 20, 2008
    Milan Italy
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Hi, I own a t cabriolet that I drive in northern Italy also during winter - not when it snows, when asphalt is dry but very cold - and I'd feel much more safer with winter tyres. I mean tyres with the snowflake and M+S spec. I'm facing some difficulties finding winter tyres for my Mondial with ZR (>240 km/h) - or W or Y - speed code.

Do someone knows a maker that produces winter tyres in 205/15 ZR16 M+S and 215/55 ZR16 M+S size?

Thaks in advance. Ciao Roberto

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I have had good experience with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, they are V rated (which for my 88 Mondial Cab was the OEM speed rating), and I drive in Canada right into the full snow/salt season so often near freezing temperatures. I had the same concerns as you (and summer high performance tires definitely do not work well at all under about 5 degrees C, especially in the wet and forget about light snow or sleet). They are available in the correct sizes, and are reasonably priced. Z rated tires have harder compounds for heat resistance at high speeds and also typically stiffer sidewalls, so can make the ride a bit harsher than an equivalent V rated tire.

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I made the mistake of taking my 1986 coupe out last Winter. It was threatening snow but only a short round trip on a good two lane black top. Near home, at about 45mph I encountered a thin layer of new snow. As is my custom I tested first the brakes, then the accelerator very lightly. The brakes were as one would expect. The acceleration was not at all what I expected!

I believe what happened next was the result of the very tight limited slip differential. I gave the go-pedal just a little tap at and all hell broke loose. The rear took a mighty swing to the right. The car was 45 degrees sideways rotating counter clockwise with me counter steering for all I was worth. Then then the recovery was exactly the same going clockwise.

I was simply along for the ride. From one side of the road to the other perhaps three times each. Perhaps four. Each subsequent swing was reduced until the car was simply driving straight ahead as when it all first started. Probably the scariest ride I have ever had. The tires were Summer only. However, given the ferocity of the reaction I would never drive this car with any sort of tires on snow ever again.

I have driven the car quite a lot on cold sunny days with no problem. The tires do not have as much grip but the car seems to behave the same way as far as chassis dynamics go.

4. bimbomancini

bimbomancini Karting

Dec 20, 2008
    Milan Italy
    Full Name:
    Roberto

Thank you for answering.
    The main problem of your suggestion is the speed code. They are V and I need Z.
    Actually in Italy you're allowed to use M+S tyres 1 speed class below the summer ones (provided you have on your dashboard a sticker reminding the lower speed limit), but I would prefer don't.
    Anyway, if the V class should be the choice, there are some some winter (not all season) tyres in the right sizes and V rated, and I prefer winter than all season.
    For the moment I'm looking for winter Z rated. If they don't exist, I'll think to a compromise (V with dashboard sticker, winter).

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

5. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Wow

"While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.

225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h
    205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h
    285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:

285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h
    285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

As vehicles have increased their top speeds into Autobahn-only ranges, the tire speed ratings have evolved to better identify the tire's capability, allowing drivers to match the speed of their tires with the top speed of their vehicle."

Ah, well. I am speechless. This last Spring I ran my 1986 3.2 at the Heavens Landing 1/2 mile speed run. I managed 115 mph. The fastest Lambo did about 210mph. He was parked right behind me and now I wish I had taken a closer look at his tires!