2014 CTS Vsport versus 1986 Mondial 3.2 | FerrariChat

2014 CTS Vsport versus 1986 Mondial 3.2

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Sep 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Turns out they are both Disneyland E-Ticket rides!

I am writing up a more detailed account but I had the CTS figured out every bit as fast as I figured out the Mondial several years ago. More then a little bit of theatricality in both of them. Three things stand out as similar. The engine torque curve, full throttle turn exit chassis dynamics, and the engine sound track. And similarly, both cars are very cleverly designed so as not to kill off existing customers. Of course the Caddy has 420hp and eight speeds to play with. But thats pretty much what you do with an eight speed. Play with it.

I have driven a lot of high priced machinery over the years and this is the first time such a vehicle reminded me of my Mondial. Besides the above mentioned specifics, the Caddy has all sorts of personality and character. In a less capable vehicle these might be considered as flaws. For instance, the eight speed is NOT perfect. In other words, you, the driver, have something to do. Something you can get better at. Something you can experiment with.

Some idiosyncrasies are simply unexpected delights. For instance, I was driving my 12 mile 65 turn mountain two lane blacktop and entered way hot into a 50mph hard right hand turn. It was clear to me I was going to drift into the left lane, perhaps 1/2 the lane width, into the oncoming lane (I had a clear view and thus could do this). However, I tapped the brake and gave a bit more right rudder. The car did a minuscule little jig, never crossed the center-line, and took full throttle for the exit in the most delightful way. Like the Mondial! This car has stability control in its differential, not just in differential braking. And I could feel it working on that turn.

This car is, apparently, nothing like the CTS-V. I hear that car is a beast. This car is a ***** cat at heart. A snarling, spitting, scratching mad ***** cat, but a ***** cat none the less. And it reminds me of my 1986 Mondial. Who woulda thunk it?

______
    Twin turbo 3.6