Question re Offset of Speedline Wheels | FerrariChat

Question re Offset of Speedline Wheels

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Roward7, Sep 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Question Lads, as I have searched and also asked my local F/Mechanic but still no real answer so:-

Would a set of Speedline Mistral 3 piece wheels off a 308/328 (non ABS). Size 16x8" rear, 16x7" front.

Be the correct Offset for My Mondial QV?

Cheers
    Rob.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Lots of posts already on this; short answers... yes they'll fit. No, the 308/328 Speedline wheels are not correct for the Mondial. Yes, Speedline did make 3-piece wheels that were Euro dealer options for Mondials.

3. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks Wade, yes did a search and found a few posts but nothing that was 100% so hence the further question, noticed you had a photo with them on as well :)
    Yes looks like I would need to find Mondial correct made Mistral rims or pull the centers off and find correct outer rims to correct offset..
    The whole changing wheels away from TRX rims is a real pain in the a.. to find correct.. in something nice looking.... :(

Cheers,
    Rob.

4. roddyracer

roddyracer Karting

Mar 14, 2010
    same issue for me on my "83 coupe..Superperformance UK..does make a bolt on wheel for my car which I assume may fit your's as well..Check it out..If you find another solution please let me know..Rod

5. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    #5 i-velocita, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wade,

What does it take to make 308 wheels fit a Mondial? Just spacers? Is more required? This photo suggests a fit is possible.

Thanks for your help...

Jim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #6 Wade, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    They're a direct bolt-on but the 308 wheel's off-sets are incorrect for the Mondial. If the car isn't driven very much then it probably isn't much of a concern. Otherwise, the offsets will stress the 28+ year old wheel bearings.

The 308 wheels themselves are narrow so tire width is limited, plus the Mondial's superb handling characteristics would be effected as well.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The correct Speedlines are really nice, and 17" too. I ended up staying with the OEM wheels for the 3.2 (both TRX and 16").

+1

For the 8 and QV, the 16" replicas from Superperformance are the way to go. My preference anyway.

8. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks lads for your experience and advice, yes the offset between the 308 and Mondial is the issue, so unless you can find a set of mistrals that have the split rims at the right offset it wouldnt work... It truly looks like the superformance repro option is the only commonly available option to move away from metric and keeps the car safe and keeps the original look as well.
    Cheers.
    Rob.

9. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks for your help Wade.

Still a bit uncertain re fitment with spacers. The wheels in question are 16"x7" front and 16"x8" rear with standard 308 offset. Are these workable on the Mondial if spacers are used?

Best...Jim

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hey Jim, I'm not at my resources but search in this forum for Mondial offset, you should find the info that you're looking for. Then compare to the offset number that's on the inside of your wheels. Post a photo if you can.

Off the top of my head... adding spacers to 308 spec wheels and then installing onto a Mondial will widen it's track considerably. Think 90s "pregnant roller-skate" car fad.

However, if your Speedlines are spec for an ABS 328 then there's a difference as well. Best to get the offset number directly from the wheel.

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, you need to go the other way.

12. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    #12 i-velocita, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wade, Steve,

Appreciate your help.

If you look at the attached Mondial photo the 308 wheels appear a good fit. Would assume that the Speedline Mistrals with standard 308 offset would also fit. Perhaps there is something I don't know re the car in the photo.

I have attached photos of the markings on the inside of my wheels. These may not relate to offset as the wheels are 3 piece and the offset could change with different lips/barrels.

Thanks...Jim

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The wheels on the car in that photo stick out too far, and I can imagine that the fender lip contacts the tire's tread quite often.

T6 on the wheels is the type of aluminum (good stuff, T6), the stamped numbers are, my guess, the manufacturer's part numbers and possibly lot number or date code.

14. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Ok, very good. Thanks.