Cleaning the headlining | FerrariChat

Cleaning the headlining

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by UKtifosi, Sep 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    Hi, there are some grubby marks on the headlining that covers the sunroof - maybe dirt or grease from the mechanism. Have you guys any tips on how to clean these away? I'm worried the wrong product/method could leave a worse stain. Thanking you in advance. Paul

2. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #2 afterburner, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's wool so you MUST use a wool-specific detergent. I used cold water and a hand washing detergent. Immerse it completely in a large basin and let it soak for a few hours, then massage it :) Rinse thoroughly, stretch it out in all directions and let it dry at ambient air on top of another towel - don't tumble dry! Afterwards, if you have grease stains, use benzine (lighter fluid for ex) locally to remove as much as possible.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    Hi,
    Thank you very much for your advice. Paul

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    You are welcome, Paul. Urs

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I just used the hand tools on a carpet shampoo machine- the extraction type and the extraction shampoo. Did a great job.

6. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    if you have the older style "Mesh" headliner, do NOT spray foam carpet cleaner on it. That will dissolve the glue and you will have a sagging headliner.

7. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    Thank you Mike and Russ. Paul

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The stuff i used was the shampoo you put in the extraction machine- i must have missed the glue as did not know there was any. I hate mondial sunroofs by the way.