Down Shifting | FerrariChat

Down Shifting

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by TGIF, Sep 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    My first thread as I picked up a '88 Euro 3.2 cab a few months back and recently got it back running (clutch slave swap, bracket and pin, New battery and starter).

Took the longest drive yet up to DMV (Fremont from San Jose) to finally got the title swapped out with inspection. Got there just fine but had some trouble downshifting on the way home. It starts with Reverse then into 1st and 2nd. Later on the drive it was 3rd and 4th I was unable to downshift into. A few times I could get move it down into gear under 2k rpm's but others I had to stop, turn off the car, put into 1st and then restart.

I got 71km (44k miles) on the original clutch and upshifting is great. When it sits overnight it's less of an issue. I'm pretty sure the gearbox oil hasn't been changed in 8+ years or even 15yrs (50km). PS: Mechanic said the clutch is good for a few more thousand miles.

Besides changing out the gear oil any other thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I switched to redline and it was night and day. Try that. Congrats btw, hope to see you soon on Bay Area event

3. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Thanks, i'll look to grab some and do that next weekend. I'll check the threads for the DYI, pretty sure I saw one a few weeks ago. Where's a good place to find out about events?

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Where is the clutch pedel when it starts to bite, as its giving problems in the ford and reverse gears it sounds like the clutch friction is buggered. If you floor the accelerator can you see the revs going up quickly but the speed not doing so.

If the clutch is not biting until the pedel is allmost full up then it is well worn. Put the handbrake on and let the clutch out slowly and see if the car stalls, in a bad case it will engage with the handbrake on.

If you do the gearbox oil use a 75/90 synthetic , not the 80/90 as per the book as it makes gear changes easier.
    My clutch did 16000 miles so i find your miles a bit hard to believe to be honest

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Awesome clutch advise by mike32, check out the NorCal forum and FOG. Let me know if you want to check one out next time and I'll invite you. Next one is Oct 1st starts on Pinunsula

Cheers

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Could be very worn synchros. Until you address the fluid, read up on "double clutch downshifting". Basically, you blip the throttle before the downshift with the clutch pedal in to bring the revs up, the job the synchros are supposed to do. If that doesn't help, do the blip with the gear lever in neutral and the clutch pedal up. It is like doing 2 shifts, higher gear to neutral, blip, neutral to lower gear.

If neither of those two techniques help, it is not the synchros.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I am wondering if i am getting this the wrong way around ? If the friction was worn then the clutch would be slipping, for the gear engagement to be giving trouble i am wondering if the clutch hydraulics are not disengaging the friction from the flywheel when the clutch pedel is pressed.

One of those times when u wish you had the car outside.

8. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Ditto, sounds like clutch actuation hydraulics - slave cylinder or master cylinder... or just low fluid? (would want to check for leaks...)

9. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Thanks, Didn't think about giving it some gas when down shifting and/or double shift method.
    Slave cylinder is new, as well as pin and bracket fluid is good as well as brakes. No slipping of gears as upshift is great, in fact I can chirp the tires from 1st-2nd and 2nd to third with enough gas and a pop of the clutch.

The prob is only downshifting and when the car has been running for a while. I'll look at swapping the fluids and giving it gas / double shift method.

Thanks everyone

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Sure, you can get by with rev matching downshifts, but that's a band-aid, not a solution. A properly adjusted system on a 308/Mondial has no problems downshifting with the clutch in... therefore your car's setup has a problem.

I'd still bet on hydraulics, especially since you say the slave is new. It's not that uncommon to get a bad component out of the brand new box, that's one possibility. The slave cylinder is on the engine and subject to heat...

11. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    15 years? !!!

My first thought is why didn't your mechanic suggest changing the gearbox oil? Most of us do it every two years or so, or every year if you want to be OCD about it, lol!.

I would start with that. Even if it doesn't solve your problem, it needs to be done.

Then you can move on to check out the clutch and linkage adjustment.

Also, if the car sat for a long time before you got it, it is not uncommon to actually see corrosion inside the gearbox due to lack of fluid covering the parts when it sat.
    Alden

12. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Thanks Gordon. The heat part does make more sense as when the car is running for a while and up to temp I have the prob. Ordered the redline and going to do that next week. I plan on getting the clutch done along with valve adjustment and belts going into the new year.

I'll go look for a thread on tranny fluid swap but seems pretty usual (Big pan, drain and fill with pump till it comes back at you (around 4qts+). Wonder if it makes since to do after running for warmer fluid.

13. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    My Two Cents Worth

The hydraulic clutch system on these cars is a frign nightmare. First, I beg each and every one of you NOT to buy the Alpha parts even though they fit, and work. For awhile. Bleeding the system was like Chinese water torture. I will not even try to explain how my local wrench did it eventually correctly.

As others have stated, how far off the floor does the clutch take hold in first gear? I think I get about an inch or so. Anything much less then that? If you really really need to stomp down on it for shifting then there is not enough disengagement play. That would mean a bad hydraulic bleed. [A worn clutch would show by needing more travel to engage.]

I believe these cars have very strong synchros and can be bang shifted both up and down if you put some some beef behind it. However, I find double clutch downshifting to be silky smooth; although second gear requires a bit of finesse to get it right.

14. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Update: Changed the Gear lube lastnight. Just a little over 2.5qts came out which seemed to cause the down shift issue when the car was hot/running 20mins+. Cleaned both drain bolts (tranny and diff) and added 5qts (Red Line 75w90ns) as it took all 5.

Took it out for quick spin lastnight and then 30miles today with no issues. Thanks for everyones help!!