two HVAC problems | FerrariChat

two HVAC problems

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Journiacois, Sep 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    On my way back home from our Italy trip, I encountered some condensation on the inside of the windshield. As I had some significant amount of water on both the driver and passenger side that soaked the carpets (after running for a week with the AC on), I assume that problem #1 is clogged drains from my evaporator...I hope that is it. I'm going to trouble shoot the drains this afternoon. Question: can I get to them with the car on the ground from under the dash or will I have to be on a lift? I have done a search but cant find a mondi specific diagram of the evaporator drains.

Problem #2: When I pushed the defrost button, heat came out of the main cabin vents but nothing at all out of the vents that run along the window. I assume this means that it is not shifting the air flow from the cabin to the window vents. Any way I can check this out without having to remove the heat box from inside the car?

2. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Ok, So it's not the drain. I disconnected the drain hose from the node on the evaporator tray and blew compressed air down and there was no resistance or back pressure. As best as I can tell, the tray seems to be sealed. I guess I'll have to run the car with the AC on and see if I can see leaking from somewhere.

There is a rubberish substance which tries to seal the bottom front of the black box right next to the heat vent above the accelerator pedal, that has separated and so there is a crack along it. But that would seem to be from the front and I don't think part of the tray. If it is part of the tray, then it certainly would leak all along.

3. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    #3 Journiacois, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Running with the A/C on (-driving in significant rainfall) plus water in the cabin usually means you have a a condensation leak somewhere.

When I pull into the garage after a run with the A/C on, I can see water dripping from the condensate drain, it usually leaves a small puddle on the garage floor. I live in a high heat/humidity area, so I "always" see water coming from the drain.

So, the question is, can you see water coming from the drain? If so, you may see some coming out, but it could still also be leaking inside the cabin.

Also, if your box is cracked in one spot, it is probably cracked elsewhere too. The fact that it looks like someone (the PO?) tried to repair the crack tells me that the water intrusion is not a new occurrence for this Mondial. No one would probably repair a crack due to a small air loss, but for water leaks, yes.

I would try driving the car with the A/C on in humid conditions after putting some kind of absorbent material inside the car under the dash, like blue shop paper towels carefully laid out to cover the area and not interfere with the pedals/steering. That material will show dark spots where the water hits it and make it easy to see if and where you have a leak.

After you ID the source of the water, then you can decide if you need to tear the dash apart.

Alden