Cracked subframe | FerrariChat

Cracked subframe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PV Dirk, Sep 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Hi All. I seem to remember someone here once talking about a cracked frame. I looked at mine out of curiosity and didn't initially find anything. Then the other day I came across a stress crack. My brother found another. I will post pictures later.

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #2 PV Dirk, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is a highly stressed location, and that is a good repair weld.

4. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Yikes! Good catch. I'll check mine as I'm mid timing belt and it's easy to see at the moment. I wonder if this is something rarely observed due to the low mileage on most Mondials. As the owner of a relatively high mileage car, now I'm concerned.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I see them on 1995 F355 too.

6. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #6 jgoodman, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    I think I was the one who mentioned that my mechanic found it at the time of my engine out major when I first bought my car. Mine however was upper arm on passenger side. What is interesting is yours also was discovered during engine out major. Not sure how easy it would be to find this engine in.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Known problem. Ferraris flex and frames crack.

8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    New 458 cars cracking badly also, friend of mine has to plate and weld them....aluminium welding.
    Maybe they should glue, like Lotus do for their cars and for Aston Martin :)

9. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I also found a few (!) cracks in my subframe when she was on the hoist. I did a temporary weld up, but plan to do it a bit more professional (with extra reinforcements) when engine is out in a few years. Most of my cracks where around the lower triangles.

As said before: known problem.

10. caterus

caterus Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #10 caterus, Sep 28, 2016
    When I took my 3.2 engine out for a full overhaul I found the rear sub-frame was fairly corroded but not cracked. The worst parts were the upper surfaces of the front and rear side members of the frame. In particular the rear side member required welding a strengthening piece across the full width. The corrosion was virtually impossible to see even with the car up on a lift. If I hadn't fixed this I don't like to think of the possible future consequences. The attached photo just shows the frame after cleaning, painting and rust proofing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thanks for the comments everyone. Interesting to hear this is a relatively common and even known problem. I didn't find much in searching for Mondial frame cracks so hopefully this will be good for future owners to know that it's not a big deal, just weld it up and run down the road.

12. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    360 has major frame cracking problems particularly earlier cars. You would think Ferrari would know how to design and fabricate a chassis by now. Ditto exhaust manifolds. To get good weld penetration you MUST vee out the crack. And sudden cooling (the compressed air trick) will make the weld brittle, better to wrap area with blanket before welding and let it cool slowly. I would recommend getting this done by a professional preferably with a TIG welder.

13. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    #13 djs308, Oct 2, 2016