Never too late for an 8 | FerrariChat

Never too late for an 8

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mechanical Dad, Oct 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    #1 Mechanical Dad, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello everyone. My wife and i just purchased our first Ferrari last week ! A 1982 european spec Mondial 8. It's a project car, but with being a mechanic for over 25 years, im not afraid of whatever lies ahead. Id like to thank everyone who has posted all sorts of information about these cars. It has been a tremendous help throught tbe buying process. And not to mention the outstanding customer service from James and Mike at Norwood Auto Italia. These guys are top notch and they did the PPI for me as well. I understand these are the black sheep some say of the ferrari world, but for me its still a ferrari. Ive spent most of my wrenching career resurrecting tired iron and creating some amazing machines. This is something ive looked forward to for 33 years. (Im 37 and got my 1st Ferrari matchbox car at the age of 4, which i still have) and now its time to enjoy my dream and get my wife and kids involved. I didnt see an introduction thread , but i figured this was close enough. Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I sure hope you didn't pay more than $20K for it, if it needs parts or even tyres. Both are hard to come by and very very expensive.

Looks better than a project car though.

3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jesus Christ, Russ. Take it somewhere else man.

What Russ SHOULD HAVE MEANT to say, was - Congrats on the new 8!!

They're very cool cars... true vintage Ferrari's. Welcome to the Mondial team! Enjoy!!

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congratulations!!!

It's a beauty! Let us know your experiences. This community has been one of the best things about Mondial ownership.

Russ is our resident curmudgeon. He actually has a lot of good info when you catch him in the right mood.

Again, a hearty congratulations - and welcome to the club!!!

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    On the value of the car, it really depends on condition and mileage.

The reality is, it could be 20K too much or 20K too little.

As for the TRX wheels - there is cheaper alternatives correct?

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Russ is our resident bitter, sour grapes, ex-Mondial owner. Bought a bad car at a gov't auction, and got what he paid for, a POS. Got burned on repairs, sold it and the new owner fixed it correctly and flipped it for 2X the price.

Now he comes around to pile **** on Mondial threads.

Put him on "ignore" like I have and stop quoting his posts please, I don't want to read them.

And to the OP: Congrats on the new to you "8," you will love the car once you get it sorted.
    Alden

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Ah yes, looks exactly like my first Ferrari (except the badges). Nice memories for sure.

Like you said, it's "Never too late for an 8".

Enjoy, and welcome.

8. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Congratulations, I too am a first time Ferrari owner. I also have the exact same car.

9. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    WHOO WHOO another addition to the Mondi family!

Congrats on the new baby, kick your shoes off post your issues and we will try our best to help!

yep for less than a used Toyota you have joined the exotic club!

10. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Thanks everyone. Nearly every aspect of the car needs some attention (half the electronics kind of work, upolstery, valve adjustment ......etc.). However it was driven off the car carrier ! Ive decided to leave the body alone to keep the survivor look and do some modern upgrades and some light performance work down the road. My main concern is making it reliable as the Mrs and I plan on taking some small trips next year. It does have an upgraded fusebox and and many components have been changed in the past 5 years according to the service history. And russ, it was under 20k !

11. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Congrats on the buy. I recently got a Euro '88 Mondial 3.2 and working through some bugs as well.. The Forums are awesome place for info, DYI projects and more. Plenty of info online as well for additional details. Ebay will be additives (looking at new auctions daily for spare parts) as well as Ebay.uk and Ebay.co.uk. You'll quickly get to know Ferrparts and others. Enjoy and we'll look to hearing from you soon!

12. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Nice buy! Upgraded fusebox is a really good start, being here in the Mondial group is even better! Lots of knowledge here. Welcome!
    /Peter

13. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris

Fantastic, and a upgraded fuse box? That puts u leaps ahead from my experiences. There are threads alone on that little chestnut. In my opinion, one of the most significant Ferraris being the 82 Mondial. Great that your a mechanic, when I got mine, it was trucked straight to the mechanics for a $5k service......My mechanic says it's the best he has ever driven.....I keep that close to me every time I drive it

14. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    It would be interesting to know exactly how many of the 8 models are still in existence. I believe there were only about 700 made. Probably a good number of those have been totaled by now.

15. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    From a post by Mike "Soucorp"

Mondial 8
    Production started: 1980.
    Production ended: 1982.
    Total production: 703, 145 RHD.
    First serial number: 31075.
    Last serial number: 41727.

I keep track of all Mondials I encounter, in real life and Internet, for over 20 years now, but need to check on how much I have when I get home.

best
    Jurgen

16. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congratulations and welcome to the family! I also bought my first Ferrari (1985 QV Mondial) this year, lots of 'interesting' quirks and character these cars have.

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've wondered the same exact thing, I guestimates maybe 15-20 % have gone to car heaven? Do you think that is too low or high?

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  19. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Congrats and enjoy!

20. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    #20 Russ Gould, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    If you paid less than $20K for a car that does not need a lot of parts, you will be OK. If the car has problems then it has probably been neglected to some degree and you should start with the systems that can contribute to a fire or crash: fuel lines both hard and soft, any electrical shorts or damaged wiring, brake lines/brake seals, tyres. Next up you need to take care of the belts. If they break you have an "expensive paperweight" in the words of one newbie whose Mondial blew up before he got it home. This motor has an interference valve system. If the belts break your pistons will destroy your valves, your cylinder head, the pistons themselves, and possibly the crank case. Cooling system and hoses next. All the rubber will need to be replaced if it has not been done within the last 10 years. You can worry about the idiot lights and window motors later. Cosmetics come last.

To get away from TRX you have to change the rims.

To enhance performance, not so simple. The 8 needs enhancement. One of your first realizations will be that the car does not live up to the badge in that dept. You can get it to go faster with major engine surgery but basically not worth the money. Look up Caribou and Nick Forza to see what is involved. If you are really ambitious, you could put an LS motor into the car and then you would have something.

To those of you that have taken this opportunity to make a personal attack, I might have made unflattering comments about these cars and their quirks and failings based on my TWENTY YEARS of Mondial ownership, but unlike some here I have NEVER made a personal attack on any member of this forum. Stick to arguing the facts.

21. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Well there was one exception, someone who didn't like my comments about his horsie called me an "oozing boil on the ass of the hobby" and I retaliated appropriately.

22. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Hi Paul,
    it's difficult to say. But the 8 has been considered the lowest on the Ferrari foodchain for a long time, even today.
    But my guess would be the same.
    Best
    Jurgen

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks Jurgen for your thoughts! Interested to see how it performs in the auction this Wednesday

Buy Classic 1982 Ferrari Mondial 8 Car's At Auction

24. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    congrats on the purchase !
    and don`t worry ... it`s a real Ferrari and worth saving ;)

with your mechanical background and the help of this forum, you will not have to many problems... at least not more than all of us once had or still have ;)

well bought !
    would be really nice if you updated this thread on a regular basic, documenting your work and showing pictures of your progress

good luck !

25. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #25 Wade, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While I'm not currently looking for an 8, it would be difficult to turn down one in Oro or Verde, in any condition (except rust buckets, of course).