Gas Leak & Convertible Screw | FerrariChat

Gas Leak & Convertible Screw

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by TGIF, Oct 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    #1 TGIF, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Keeping the thread count down Merging to issue's..

After Topping off the tank last week I now have a small gas leak. It's not much maybe around 2oz of gas for around 12hrs. Seems to be right under the drivers jack/lift spot and on the passenger side it's smaller but I can see wetness/damp on the passenger side of the middle of car.
    I'll need to get to a lift to drop the skip plate and look at it. Hopefully a few hose changes are all thats needed. Seems to be smaller leak once the car is level.

Any recommendations for what to look for first or usual suspected parts/areas?

Convertible Screw:
    I was putting the top up the other night and having a struggle across the B Pillar on the drivers side. One of the support brackets got snagged and the screw broke off. It's a big flathead type but not sure if completely universal. Don't see anything on ebay, any insights or knowledge of where to find one? Pic is below.

Thanks in advance
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Take the rear right hand wheel and liner off, this gives you access to the fuel pump, filter and accumulator. The accumulator has a tell tail hole on the rear, if it is leaking you need to renew it.
    Your leak is a bit forward but it is an easy check first

3. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    agree check accumulator
    and when you remove the skid plate look at all the hoses
    its best to put your fingers on the hoses and smell your fingers for gas

they could be seeping but not visible

4. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I agree with the others advice to take the passenger rear wheel and liner off. However, while under there, in addition to the accumulator, take a look at the fuel lines. There's several of them running from the passenger side gas tank.

On my car, one of them was weeping slightly.

As long as you are under there, check them out, and replace any that are old.

Sid

5. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    there is also a hose that goes between the tanks towards the top make sure to check that

above all else if you are visibly leaking do not drive the car!

6. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Concerning the screw I would actually check dealer to get a new one

also check Ricambi ans for used check ferrparts in Sacramento

7. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    My QV had a crack at a welded seam at the top of the rh tank. Flushed and cleaned a few times,waved a propane torch by the opening and no kaboom, then welded crack. A OK now

8. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #8 166&456, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Fred: personally I would have done that by using some sort of air pump keeping the tank always flushed with fresh air while welding, or while having an inert gas inside or it mostly filled with water or something, but very glad your solution worked for you.
    One reason why gastanks (or filler hoses) crack is because of a blocked charcoal canister or adjacent components, leading the tank to resist pressurisation when ambient temperatures are high and implosion when it is cold - usually apparent when releasing the gas cap. If you get more than a little gas flow rushing in or out, you have an issue there.

As for the screw, if not readily available a machine shop will probably be able to make something for you. Another possibility is to drill the end where I presume there were threads that broke off, and tap it so it can accept a stud. The result will look factory.

9. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Thanks, I'll take it to Pit Row (DYI shop/lift) and take a peak under the skid plate and tire. After driving it around (with a fire ext. with me) It's not leaking but can smell a hint of gas in the area's. Wifey says it's heavier on that passenger side near the body vents. The leak was more around the fill tube (I topped it off, which prob caused that).

As for the screw I'll check with Russ at Ferrparts and see if they have anything. I'll be up in Sac in a few weeks and plan to stop by there with a list of things I need to pick up.

Got an Apline pullout tape player installed this weekend and happy to hear the door speakers sound great. Assume not OEM as the older deck was a '01 Panasonic GPS/DVD player. Nothing like driving around with the top down with the Miami Vice sound track playing. I also put in a wired (antenna) bluetooth for streaming and calls. Ordered the shift lock so I can park it top down in Reverse leaving the stereo in (not enough room to pull it out!).

10. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    #10 TGIF, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Got some time late yesterday afternoon and but the 3.2 Cab (the car is called "Red Baron") up on jackstands to get underneath and remove the gas tank shield.

Tracing the leak down its coming from the inlet to the fuel filter. The hose clamps were all tight but I added a second one next to the OEM at the inlet and that sealed up the leak. Been dry now for a day as well as 20miles. I ordered replacement hose as well as pads for the skid plate from Recambi America. I'll use up the tank in coming weeks and then swap out the hose and new clamps.

Question is around fuel filter. Looking to replace it but seems it's inline from the tank to the hose. I searched around a bit but can't find one thats in stock? I find the direct part number but not a cross reference. Didn't look if same as US as this is a Euro version. Any insights?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login