Oil and gearbox pan seal replacement- what sealant? | FerrariChat

Oil and gearbox pan seal replacement- what sealant?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Cadillacbart, Oct 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I'll be finishing up my shift shaft seal replacement this coming weekend. Recommendations on sealant to use (if any) with the new pan gaskets?

Thanks,
    John

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have good luck with Hondabond and Threebond. Did my shiftshaft 3 years ago and still no leaks or drip of oil today.

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Does no one use hylomar blue? Don't these recommended sealers make eventual removal a nightmare? I would want to use no sealer with a great gasket as the best alternative, but hylomar seems to be more of a sealer than a glue that might be a good compromise of sealing verses servicing. Or are the products noted in fact easy to remove?

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The only thing I've used hylomar for was a Hewland racing box. The box needed regular service for dog replacement (which wear out quickly). And swapping gear sets for different tracks. An oil pan on a road car is not going to need removal that often.

The gasket sealer which was really hard to remove was the old style that came in a little round bottle, with a brush connected to the cap. Silicone based sealants like Permatex, and Hondabond, are much easier to remove. And have far superior leak protection. These products are gifts from heaven.

Gaskets without sealer will leak. Even head gaskets.

5. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I decided to use Hondabond. I have used it on my Porsches and had good success. Nice thing is that it can be applied super thin to the gasket surfaces.
    Sounds like this is definitely a subject where people use what they have faith in.