2V valves group buy (non-sodium!!) | FerrariChat

2V valves group buy (non-sodium!!)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by derekw, Oct 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Hi all, I posted this a while back in the 308 forum and forgot to list it here too. I will be ordering a batch of (non-sodium) exhaust and inlet valves for the 2V cars. The sodium filled valves (106553) are also found in the 246, 365 and 512. These new valves will be 21-4N stainless with 12H stellite tips/seats. Dimensions will be the same as original.

The price will be $260 for 16 including postage to you. They will be made in China by a company which already supplies several OEMs in Europe. Send me a pm if you want some. No payment until I have them in hand in 2-3 months.

My 58,000km 1979 308 valves had about 0.005mm (almost 2 thou) wear on the stems and a noticeable wiggle (about 1mm) when in the guides. I might also get some harder manganese bronze guides made (USA made $10 each) and viton stem seals $1ea.

cheers, derek

2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    #2 derekw, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,

Sorry about the long silence but I was waiting for the analysis of the valves. It is all good news-- they ground off the nitride layer and did hardness tests in ten different places on the valves, all were 41-42 HRC. They then did five EDS spectrum analyses and all came back as 21-4N (around 22% Cr, 10% Mn, 3.5% Ni.) They will hardness test the stellite tips but I felt them with a magnet and tried filing them so am pretty sure they are good. I asked the lab to do the EDS and electron microscopy because of the very slight magnetism. They said it is common in forged and machined austenitic stainless to get a small amount of martensite (the black specs in the crystal structure.)

They are same dimensions as the originals but nitride coated. The exhausts are fully machined but the inlets have the forging finish on the faces which is a little rough but anyone who is fussy can grind and polish them smooth. I will leave mine as the nitrided surface is probably less sticky for carbon buildup than polishing it smooth (I would welcome comments.)

The other good news is that they cost less than expected so a set of 16 will be $200 plus post/shipping. Send your orders and address via paypal to derekrwhite @ yah00.c0m. I have a few more sets than have been ordered so first come, first served.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    So Derek, what's the deal with the sodium valve cars, should you only buy a 308 that has had valve replacement work done?
    Regards Bell

4. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Bell, I would immediately change the valves if over 60k km and still the original valves. By that mileage you will be nearing the limit on your rings, liners, valve guides and wrist pins/bushes so about due for a freshen up anyway. Above 40k km for an air injection car or one that has stood for a long time I would be careful and change soon. I think the weld in the neck may be more prone to corrosion when standing and the higher thermal stresses from the air injection don't help.

5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Many thanks Derek, regards Bell

6. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    Is there anything still going on with this buy? Any valves left?

7. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Lots left. Most are 7.95-7.96 stems and lengths range is 0.2mm either side of standard so I can find a set to suit your heads. Send me an email at derekrwhite at yahoo dotc0m. Price is the same at $260/set incl. post.

8. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    I have a New set on Inlet valves. Stainless, aftermarket 308GTSi inlet valves.
    Standard size,, New in Box.
    Cheep....!!!

PM me.
    Edwardo
    (wink)