Mondial t Cab torsional stiffness members | FerrariChat

Mondial t Cab torsional stiffness members

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Smashie, Oct 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smashie

Smashie Rookie

Aug 16, 2016
    #1 Smashie, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi - Earlier this year I became the proud new owner of a UK RHD Mondial T Cabriolet built in 1990. The pre-inspection report by a Ferrari engineer, highlighted some rusting at the leading end of the secondary floor so I knew I would have to do something about it. As with anything like this you never know what you are going to be letting yourself in for until you remove the offending panel!! Once the floor was off (it is 'rosette' welded to the cross members above it) and after some grinding work had been done on the members, it has become clear that I'm going to be better off replacing the cross member frame as a complete unit. The cross members are not solid but are 10x40x1.5mm box sections. Does anyone know where I might get hold of one or if anyone has had one fabricated??? Here are some pics of the problems!! Thanks for any help you can give!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I would look for a metal fabrication/welding company near you, copying that structure does not look very difficult, provided the raw material can be obtained. Making a wooden jig beforehand to assist in aligning the individual sections would probably help them, you can discuss with them how to approach it.

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey, is this just superficial rust or are there structural dangers? If it's just cosmetics, I would have it sandblasted (or with glass particles) and protect it against water with an anti-rust solvent. If it needs to be redone because of safety issues, it's easy to have this done by a metal worker, preferrably in stainless steel.

4. Smashie

Smashie Rookie

Aug 16, 2016
    Thanks guys. I've been working with the engineers on it and we have decided to fabricate a new frame and we have managed to source the right size and spec for the members. So work should be done in a couple of weeks. Cheers