Restricted Sunroof Cable Tube? | FerrariChat

Restricted Sunroof Cable Tube?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by akorna, Oct 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks to all the references in this forum, I was able to disassemble the mechanism. The "leverage" component was trash, but the major problem appears to be a restriction in the cable tube inside the body. It's extremely difficult to pass the old cable through. Is there any access to that tube section to see if it's bent?

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The start of the tube is in the rear left hand corner of the cab, between the cab lining and the roof. You need to remove the roof lining to get a good look at it, it then runs down the rear left pillar to the boot space.. i would not think the tube is bent but the cable that runs in it might be kinked which will make it tight in the tube.
    If u r trying to re thread the cable through, it is usefull to first thread some stainless locking wire through, attach to the cable and while someone pulls on the wire, another body pushes the cable.

The leverage componient was trash, dont understand what u mean by that.

3. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #3 akorna, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the response - so the tube is accessible from inside after removing the headliner. The old cable was bound in the tube, hence the sunroof cable failure. I have removed the cable with no obvious signs of kinking, and I need to apply significant force to push it through. If the new cable does not slide through easier, I'll need to investigate further.

By trash, I meant damaged, unrepairable. All the nylon/delrin portions are cracked, and the drums at each end that push the rear of the sunroof up on closing are completely gone, see the attached pic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Someone on here had some of the nylon bits made and was selling them.. The cable is hard to move in the tube , you can use the motor to move it but you need to rig up a remote switch connected to the original so you can control it from the boot space. First clean out the tube by squirting electrical cleaner into the tube from inside the car, then grease the cable, i used motor bike chain lub as this goes on like wd 40 but then hardens to a soft grease- use the motor to move the cable both ways to see if it frees up.
    The motor / gearbox has a clutch adjustment so it is possable to increase the closing power, dont go too far
    Best of luck finding parts as very difficult- look at porsche sun roof as similar i understand.

5. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Stekkefun4 from Belgium is the one that sold the plastic parts
    Send him a pm

6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Yes, I have such a part, but first need to carefully remove it from a Mondial T, probably next week.

7. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    This won't help you with the missing/broken parts on the sunroof itself. However, should you need a new cable or motor, they are the same units found on a Porsche 924/944.

I replaced my motor and cable with a units taken from a local pick-n-pull junk yard.

Sid

8. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Mike32,
    So the cable is supposed to be difficult to push through the short length of tube between the boot and the roof cavity? If that is so, it must be due to a sharp directional change. When I get back home next week I'll try to clean and lube to see if that provides any improvement.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    There is nothing that would change the run of the tube as it is protected inside the rear window upright, unless it is damaged in the boot area- the boot end of the tube comes up against the motor/ gearbox unit.

10. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    There is nothing damaged in the boot area. The motor and the curved tube in the boot has been removed. The only area I'm addressing is the short tube inside the rear window upright. If there is no possibility that this section of tube is damaged, then either the cable or the lubricant is the culprit.

11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Is the headliner ruined by removing it, or is there a way to carefully remove it and then reuse it?
    Thanks!

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The head lining will come out fine, just need to take care taking out through the door but it will come out.
    If you have it out, good time to clean the lining material. I used the hand tools of a carpet shampoo machine on mine

13. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    It's a very close fit! Lower the front side of the headliner as low as possible close to the pedals and open your door completely and take it out diagonally.

14. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The substitute Porsche 944 cable came in today. It has a new part# 944-564-043-03. I was a little concerned because it is a full 7 inches shorter than the original cable.

I pushed it through the tube and the friction is probably about 50% less. Mostly it feels more flexible than the old cable, but it looks identical. Fortunately, when pushing the cable all the way forward, I still have about 4" left past the motor gear so it will still be engaged with the roof closed. I'm thinking I will have to shorten the copper "loop" tube, to stop the rearward movement of the sunroof with the cap on the tube?

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Fit the cable and as long as it is still engaged in the gearbox from full open to full shut it will be ok. I took a bit off the length of a new ferrari cable.
    The Ferrari cables are available these days if u get stuck.

16. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I'll bet the new Ferrari cable costs as much as a weekend trip to Paris!

17. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #17 stekkefun4, Oct 21, 2016
  18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Not far out- £508 plus vat

19. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #19 stekkefun4, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    WTF ???? Fortunately there are still some people who're asking more sensible prices than that ;)

20. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The new Porsche cable was $63 + shipping. Of course you do have to cut the ferrule off the end, cut back the coil winding about 2" and transfer the end bracket with the nylon spool, so it's far from plug and play.

I thought that the cap on the curved tubing in the boot served as a stop, so that in order to remove the sunroof, you removed the stop to allow the roof panel to overtravel and release. I reasoned that if that stop was set for a longer cable, then it would over travel even with the stop in place.

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    That makes no sense to me- the motor gearbox assembly has a slipping clutch arrangement, when the roof is full open the cable cannot open it more and the clutch slips, same when roof is full closed. If you hold your fjnger on the button the motor will keep running and the clutch will keep slipping. The tube has nothing to do with the stop position

22. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It's ALIVE. Finally got back to work on the sunroof. I also found that the nylon bracket that secures the cable tube the mounting plate and the motor assembly had multiple fractures. I was able to reinforce and glue together with JB-Weld PlasticWeld quick setting epoxy. Fitting the assembly in the boot was an exercise in patience. Mike32 pointed out that the stop really serves no purpose except to presumably keep dirt out of the tube, but I'm thinking about cutting off the excess tube to allow improved maneuvering during removal/install.

I fed the cable to the motor from the roof opening and got assistance manually turning the motor gear until the coils in the cables engaged. It seemed to be working, so I connected power and operated the switch - the slider moved back and forth in the aluminum track, and operated the new "leverage" arms that push the rear of the sunroof up when closed. So the new Porsche 944 cable was long enough, even though it was 7" shorter than the original.

I still need the rear most long nylon slides on the carrier (these don't appear to be available separately), and will likely refinish the roof panel, since it was scratched from removal, but want to make sure everything is smoothed underneath the fixed roof section so the scratches are not repeated.

23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    To stop the roof and the sunroof panal getting scratched you need to cover them in 2 inch wide masking tape- lots of it in a double layer. If using the manual screwdriver slot to work the panel, care you dont strain it as you will distroy the shaft.

24. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #24 akorna, Nov 25, 2016
    I finally got everything back together and operational. I repainted the panel - came out nice and actually used adhesive kitchen shelf liner to protect the paint during the install - really did a great job.

The nylon pin bushing finally cracked on my first install attempt, and I had to fabricate a replacement from a nylon spacer from the local hardware store.

I wasn't paying attention and had accidently placed the panel to carrier rail pins into the rear hole of the nylon slides, instead of the front, this made it about 3mm short of completely closing, so out it came again. It's interesting that you have only two hole choices to adjust the overall "length" of the panel. You could also make small adjustments by bending the rails.

I had a lot of difficulty getting the pin to engage the carrier properly - lot of slight forward and rearward movement of the cable and jiggling the roof panel. Once you hit the sweet spot, the roof panel will slide another 4-5cm back into the cavity.