Mondial is actually a pretty car if.... | FerrariChat

Mondial is actually a pretty car if....

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bell Bloke, Oct 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Today I parked Kato next to an F12 Ferrari.....bloody hell these new Ferrari cars are huge, it was a right big old boat of a car next to Kato the Mondial.
    So here's a thought for you guys, next time you are at a Ferrari car show and someone says that the Mondial was an unattractive car, just make sure you park next to an F12 and you can tell them to 'go compare'.
    Bask in you own retro glory my Mondi friends, especially when parked next to a new one.....

2. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    yeah, it's the same with Porsches... I recently bought a 996 and I already had a 964. Damn these 964 are small compared to the later models! All these airbags and other useless volume have made all cars get obese :)

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I hear you, but aren't airbags only big when inflated...;-)
    Also, Smart cars are small and pass all the crash testing with ease. It can't be computing power because we all have that in our phones and they are small....
    So what the hell is it??
    Regards Bell

4. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #4 2281GT, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not only the Mondial, but any classic Ferrari !

See my pretty little 208 turbo GTB in comparison to the fat yellow F12 TdF and the 458 in the back
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Oh yes look at that picture folks that illustrates my point perfectly. The car on the left is a supercar even without a fly yellow paint job. The yellow car could be anything....the new Toyota perhaps....
    Also look at that stance.....the car on the left says racing car...whilst the one on the right says family car...

6. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Anyone got any other Old Vs New comparison pictures? :)

7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree 100%. I recently looked at a 458, and couldn't believe how big it seemed. I checked the specs later that night and discovered it's about as wide and actually longer than a Testarossa! That's crazy to me as I've always thought of the TR as one of the biggest and widest cars I've ever seen. The F12 is even bigger. I much prefer the older, smaller cars.

On the other hand. Park a Mondial next to a 246 Dino! Those 246's are so tiny!!

8. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #8 2281GT, Oct 20, 2016
    IMO that depends on the perspective ...

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #9 paulchua, Oct 20, 2016
    A car's beauty of lack thereof is entirely subjective. I'm okay with the fact that media and the common perception of the Mondial's aesthetics have been negative. The fact of the matter is, it's a big reason why I was able to get a Ferrari so modestly priced. I'm not a rich man, so it's nice own a Ferrari that doesn't require a large loan (if at all.) I just got my title in the mail this year, and it was hugely gratifying. If folks don't like the Mondial because of an article told them not to, more power to them! Means I can run this car into the ground and buy another one!

All I know is it brings a smile to *my* face every time I look at it, and I've gotten nothing but thumbs up, smiles, and positive sentiments on the road day in and day out.

..and that feel and sound...true elixir for the soul.

:)

Cheers

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    CHUA, baby!!! ;)

I agree as always, Paul. I have other Ferrari's (and other cars in general) on my radar, but I think the Mondial is really cool looking car.

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hahaha, true!

12. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    #12 Mechanical Dad, Oct 20, 2016
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #13 paulchua, Oct 20, 2016
    Thanks so much for your kind words!

I actually got approved for the California historical plates, they are in the mail! Another cool thing about owning a vintage Ferrari!

14. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Paul, I know I could research this but since you're so gracious about sharing info about our cars I'll ask -

what are the driving restrictions for historical plates? Isn't it shows only? Are you free to take it for casual cruises? Or to drive from Sf to LA just for fun?

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's a great question. The law itself is very vague and loosely written (at least in California):

21.090 Historic Value Vehicles (CVC §5004 and R&TC §10753.5)

Historical Vehicle Plates

Issued to motor vehicles or trailers manufactured after 1922 which are at least 25 years old and of historic interest.

Vehicles assigned Historical Vehicle or Horseless Carriage plates are limited to operation or movement over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar, noncommercial purposes, such as parades or historic vehicle club activities.
    Original Plate Application

Some states have the law clearly state that the car must be used *ONLY* for special events.

In California, the law states that it only be used *PRIMARILY* for special events.
    +
    Historical Club Activities count. I usually drive with my club (FOG) which counts in this case.

What's primarily mean? 90%? 75% 51%? Well - I guess if the same cop sees you everyday driving to work, he could get you. But given I only drive my car on weekends and often to/from my club events - I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear.

There isn't an advantage of the plates, other then you have a chance to avoid smog (it's sometimes enforced, other times not) sort of a luck of the draw based on my conversations with other owners that have it. I just got it because I think it's cool, I've only seen it maybe 10 times in my 30+ years living in California.

Some folks that have the plates never have to smog, some do. Legally it doesn't exempt you from smog, it's just the classification has been mishandled in California so people fall on both sides.

Hope this provides context! (at least here in California, mileage will vary state to state)

Cheers

16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, it does. Thanks. I think if we do move back to CA I'll stick with regular plates and just "pay the piper" or in this case the mechanic ;), to keep the car up to snuff and passing. My goal is to get it in shape to use as a daily driver if we head west.

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    sounds like a plan!

18. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    People.

The 50%ile European male was 170cm tall around 1995 weighing 75kg
    Today the 50%ile is 178cm tall for 82kg.

(car industry standards, not necessarily totally reflecting anthropometric raw data)

Neither the American nor the Middle Eastern nor the Chinese have become smaller or slimmer during the same period. Or have they?

They buy all those expensive cars.

Airbag packs do have a minimal size and the ones in doors and cant rails are placed towards the outer skin of the vehicle, directly increasing size due to the structure they are attached to, plus the necessary deployment space plus the space utilised when fully blown.
    Airbags must be fully blown before the human body hits it, else the resulting impact with the deploying airbag is fatal. Wear your belts and stay away from them.

Pedestrian safety requirements on the front end have increased the need for space behind the outer skin to absorb the impact before hitting the structure.

Bigger cars are heavier, which leads to bigger tires and disks to carry and stop the additional weight. Bigger wheels lead to bigger wheel houses, which combined with increased internal space requirements for bigger people leads to an increase in external dimension.

Etc.

19. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #19 Bell Bloke, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Hey Paul, yes you are right....lack of popular admiration does make these cars very reasonable to buy, and yes the Dino is lovely and the Dino GT4 is a car I've wanted for years.
    Afterburner, I hear what you are saying but take a look at the Lotus range of cars or the Alfa Romeo 4C or even the new electric cars coming out like the BMW... it is very small and light looking. Maybe electric will hail the return of the sensibly sized car and one day we'll look back at this period in automotive design and say.. what the hell were we thinking of... :)

20. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I think there is some influence of optical illusion, The F12 Berlinetta is only 8 cm (or 3 inch) longer than the Mondial Coupe (4.62 m to 4.54 m) and they have the same height of 1,27 m. But the F12 is significantly wider (1,94 m to 1,80 m). The mondial has a low front bonnet in respect to the F12, that can strengthen the optical illusion.

21. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    PaulChua read my mind. If the Mondial were a darling of critics and writers, it would likely be out of my price range or it would be so expensive - when scheduled maintenance is factored in - that today I would buy a used Evora or Aston Vantage V-8.
    But, back to the original post, the rear 3/4 view of the Mondial is easily its most attractive angle. It only looks cumbersome from a dead-on front angle when the size of the windshield looks overly enlarged.

22. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Talk about VAGUE and LOOSE California writing! In Virginia, and some other states, the antique regulations are a lot more specific and comprehensive. For example, one legitimate use covered in Virginia and obviously overlooked in California is use for "testing purposes." "Sorry officer, just out testing the readjusted vacuum advance setting."

23. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    The obesity problem has also greatly affected the Porsche 911. We've gone from the delectable early cars at 2,300 lbs to the 3.2 carreras at 2,600 to the current bloated and bulbous version at...what...3,600 lbs? The original lines are barely recognizable.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I know right John!!?

It's funny.

25. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    It needs to be wider and lower, and the cab is too far forward. Perhaps "chopping" it would fix it, there is plenty of headroom. Other than that ...