CV Joint Axel Boots | FerrariChat

CV Joint Axel Boots

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by moysiuan, Nov 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    88 Mondial 3.2 Cab:

It looks like my passenger side inner CV joint boot split, flinging grease on the engine (smelt a bit of oil burning smell so inspected and found the split right where the clamp meets the boot).

So looks like I have a winter project.

After reading various threads on the Mondial and 328 sections, a few details some might weigh in on:

Is it necessary to replace the differential seals "while in there"? Some say these rarely fail, others seem to just do it because of the labour involved with removing the axle's. I am sure mine are original, no sign the axels or boots with oem clamps have ever been removed. While I presume a 28 year old should be replaced, is this an "if it aint broke don't fix it moment? If no leaks, and there are no signs there were, I am tempted to leave well enough alone.

I notice no one seems to use the oem clamps for the boot replacement, although they are available. Has anyone used the oem clamps, is there some special tool to tighten them up, looks like there may not be? I would prefer to do oem just for the sake of "why not", nice to keep things original where there are benign choices to do so.

Looks like on the passenger side the exhaust pipes kind of get in the way of dealing the with the inner joint. Does anyone remove anything to get better access, or is it workable to leave things as is, use appropriate extensions and such to get at the bolts, and that works out fine? Also, I note some of the seal replacement threads look like the job is being done engine out, can I actually do this engine in? I have not looked at the drivers side carefully as it is the passenger side boot that failed, probably better access there.

Does anyone just get a rebuilt axle, and avoid the self rebuilding task? I know this would be for a price, but it looks like a real messy job, I may be better off focusing my labour on the seals, and just bolt off bolt on a rebuilt axle. I do all this as a hobby, and some tasks just don't appeal. I have seen no sign of anyone getting a rebuilt unit, nor any vendor that supplies a rebuilt unit. I may end up doing it all, but would like to know if there is an option. Would prefer not to have to provide a core, would rather just have the units ready for when I feel like doing the job.

(also posting in technical thread to get any further experiences from the 308/328 crowd)

2. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Drive shaft is removed as a single item, there is no need to touch the output seals on the diff unless they are leaking. I did my driveshaft boots by only removing it at the wheel hub, which is easy also.
    See my video on 'thehelidoctor' YouTube that shows how to do it.
    Good luck, Bell
    All parts including retro clips...Superformance.co.uk.
    They do a boot kit includes grease and clips.

3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Please buy yourself a VERY good quality inbus key to do the job. Most will fail and drive shaft bolt hole will be round before you know. Take also good long extensions so you have access outside wheel area and beat the inbus key inside bolts so there is no play left. That beating will also help to loosen bolts. Nuts are hold by the angle shaft itself when loosen.
    You can change joints and grease yourself. Just be shure you remove that clips that hold angle shaft in place and make shure you dont deforme it.

Guido

4. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    #4 Pero, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is normally not a difficult job, but always extremely dirty. These are the tools I use. Long extension bar, and a long breaker bar. Agree to previous posts, make sure the hex-socket is really well grounded. Apply some force so you feel there is no flex in the breaker bar, make one determind strong push on the breaker bar and it is loose. Notice the screw driver in the brake disc.

/Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Great advice all, thank you. Resting the breaker on the jack stand also makes a lot of sense, I would have not done that and would probably have increased the risk of stripping the allen bolt.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In 40 years I have used every type of CV clamp made and still prefer OE over them all for ease of installation and how well they work. No special tools needed.

It was a simple and brilliant design.

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Anyone have the part number for the circlip that retains the CV joint? I have some correct boots, but did not order as part of a kit, so did not get the circlips. I can't find a part reference or number on any of the exploded parts diagrams on the various F part supplier sites.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Never seen a reason not to reuse them.

9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks for all the advice. As Bell might appreciate, I bodged a bicycle inner tube with a zip tie to keep around the boot to keep the grease from flinging while I get the last two weeks (when dry) of the driving season before winter hibernation time. Actually seems to do the job pretty well, at least for the low speed morning coffee run. Will report back on the boot replacement when I get to it.

10. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Why hasn't someone invented a replacement boot that has a nylon zipper on it? Cut the old one off, clean the hell out of everything, zip the new one on halfway, grease where appropriate, zip it the rest of the way, put on clamps and DRIVE!

11. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I did actually find some split boots, at an autoparts place, you glue ("cold weld" I think the glue chemically melts and fuses the plastic) them together. They did not have a size for our cars, and with all the grease it does not look easy to get the glue to actually hold.

I also note that if my hillbilly repair flys off, it might well go right into the timing belt area., so I don't aim to drive fast or for much longer (but when you have a shorter driving season you want every drive you can get!) The zipper idea sounds plausible, but I think the centrifugal forces would conspire against an unbalanced unit spinning around at speed.

12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #12 moysiuan, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    So I did the boot replacement on the passenger side of my 3.2 Mondial. All went smoothly, a couple of comments. Those bolts are really tight! I was very worried about stripping, or even breaking the allen socket, but they did crack and then came off easily. I could not get the ratchet extension to go outside the wheelwell like in the photo in this thread, Pero, were your extensions just plain old straight extensions, or did you have a ujoint or wobble extension? Can the U joint take the huge torque? I just used a shorter extension, but was under the wishbone of the suspension, and could not use the jack type of support. This increased the risk of stripping substantially.

Reused the old circlip, did not take too much stress to remove so I figured it was fine to reuse. The boots went on fine, but I am not sure I got the OEM retaining straps tight enough. I pulled them as tight as I could with long nosed pliers, but they still seemed a bit loose to me. Hopefully they will be fine, but I wonder if there is some trick to getting these things snug? They are a nice simple design.

Putting things back together was much easier, including torqueing to 57 lbs, I used new nuts and a bit of locktite blue (mostly to keep water out of the threads).

All in all, a bit scary with the removal, and my back is sore from wrenching such tight bolts. The threads on Fchat and Bell's video are invaluable for getting the confidence up to tackle a task like this, so thank you Mondial secret society members.

If I get the motivation during the winter down time I will tackle the other side, although not split, makes sense to clean and add fresh grease at this point.

13. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
  14. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    #14 Pero, Dec 1, 2016
    They were plain straight extensions but I used a u- joint ( not sure if I am using the correct word now but you can see the flex thing in my picture above). Have used this set up several times, no problem with torque. I went in higher up and could use the jack.
    /Peter

15. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #15 moysiuan, Dec 2, 2016
    Thank you for clarifying the use of the u joint. Also, re: the boot clamps, I appreciate the offer of the special tool, but the OEM clamp does not require such a tool, picture of the smaller end one attached. I think it is designed to just be pulled and tabbed, but I was not able to get it very tight.