Cheap Retro Ammeter Test/Install | FerrariChat

Cheap Retro Ammeter Test/Install

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bell Bloke, Nov 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Well Guys, as you may have noticed, my new alternator has been underperforming of late and without an ammeter it's all a bit like working in the dark. So I found this cheap little retro fella on ebay and did a temporary install just to check it worked. So here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU7pjjzJhyU

This little chap might save your bacon and give you an early warning of impending alternator doom.
    As for me? Well better go to Superformance.....

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Bell,
    I notice you are only getting about 12.3 volts? Mine stays right at 13.4 or so when the engine is running. Are you getting enough juice?

Cool calliope!

BTW, I have the type that simply plugs in the cigarette lighter is simple to R&R and it seems to be accurate and reliable.
    Alden

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Alden, no not enough juice, gonna have to sort it out soon.

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You guys are all driving on the wrong side of the road.

5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    .....overtaking :)

6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Nice to see how you want to trace the low Voltage. So its a Voltmeter or Ammeter ?
    Did you clean the negative from battery to chassis at the chassis point ?

Guido

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Yes all the grounds are good as far as I can tell. Next up is to get an actual reading off the alternator and see what if any the difference is. The fact is this alternator was replaced 2 years ago....then failed after 11 months, then it was replaced under a year ago and was working fine again and now it's going south again.
    Each time it was installed the voltage feed was perfect so I am thinking it's the alternator and not a bad earth.
    BUT I'm no electrics expert and so may be wrong.
    All the best Bell

8. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Stranges that 3 alternators are going south in 2 years. Did you change something in the offset of your belt system ? Lesser diameter of your alternator pulley ?

Guido

9. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Guido, obviously the original alternator went wrong and that's to be expected after 30 years
    Then I got this equivalent so say unit from Andrew Page and have sent it back once because it failed after 11 months. That's the story so far.....now it's true that the pulley on the unit is slightly smaller meaning a slightly higher rotation speed, but would that make the regulator fail?
    Regards Bell

10. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Bell, its possible when the alternator turns faster, internal volt regulator is giving up faster. And when I look at your youtubes, you like high rev. your engine....

Guido

11. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Yes it is turning a little faster, I'll get data and report back :)

12. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Oxford in Kato today. Noticed that the freezing temperatures have caused the alternator belt to slip a little........ Ah ha I hear you say! Yes indeed after a little tweek and the voltage now runs at 13.0 volts normal running and 12.6 with lights! Now that's much better and has taken the pressure off somewhat. It's funny really because I couldn't actually hear the belt slipping at all.
    Anyway food for thought there, all the best Bell