Some impressions on owning a Mondial | FerrariChat

Some impressions on owning a Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PBonneau, Nov 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PBonneau

PBonneau Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hello, fellow Mondial owners:

I have owned my '86 3.2 Mondial Cabriolet for six months. It's Rosso Rubino with a tan interior. It's my second Ferrari; my first was a 1981 400i.

Before we go further, I must tell you about my other cars. I have a 2001 supercharged Acura NSX. With 420 RWHP it's a treat to drive...very fast and reliable. It handles the curves like a charm. This is the car that Enzo should have built. Inexpensive maintenance and Honda reliability are certainly advantages. I also have a 1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 4S, an AWD rear engine car that is a delight to drive. My wife uses a Porsche Cayman as her daily driver; and lastly, I also have a 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe. It running just like the day it left the factory.

Now, let's talk Mondial. I love it! I never thought I would fall so hard for it. Now I realize that it is not the most popular Ferrari ever built. But what's not to love? It's the world's only factory produced four seat convertible with a mid-rear V8 engine. How cool is that? I didn't buy it for speed or handling; my NSX is a much better performer. So are my Porsches. But for cruising it can't be beat. I find the 1980's body styling to be very pleasing. Nothing puts a smile on my face like the Mondial. Right now it's at Carobu Engineering for some repairs, and I find myself looking at the empty spot in my garage, and I long for it's return. The Mondial just might be the coolest car I have ever owned. It's got Ferrari panache and just the right amount of old school quirkiness. Frankly, I couldn't be happier.

Just my thoughts...

Philippe

2. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Great to hear Philippe! Enjoy

3. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    You have fantastic taste in cars! I just got an '82 Mondial 8 and love it! I had an 88 Mondial coupe years ago. I also had a 1991 NSX I sold last year after 9 yrs of ownership. I have a 2008 Porsche Boxster as well so I hear you on it and the NSX being a better performer, BUT the Mondial has SO much personality and old school charm it's crazy. I concur with your assessment. Enjoy your car(s)!

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for sharing Philippe!!!

I agree with everything you said!!! I too had an NSX and agreed with you assessment in performance, but given it came out 6 years after the 3.2 and is a 2 seater non-convertible, it better perform better!

:)

If you want some more performance, take a look at the t, while still not as fast, I found it more forgiving in handling and almost as fast as the NSX, and definitely feels faster with top down.

Cheers

5. gated_shifter

gated_shifter Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    nice little write-up. i had to reply simply from a similar stable perspective. i like your choices in cars. i also have a '97 C4S and love that car - the design is just perfect - flowing curves everywhere. i have an '87 carrera, similar to your '85, black/tan, sport seats, 40% diff, 7/8 polished fuchs... To compare [somewhat] to the turbo NSX, i have '86 951 that's had a generous amount of funds poured into it. when i get a chance, i'll try to post a pic. i have to admit, you have great taste in cars. ;-)

6. s38junkie

s38junkie Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike K
    Nice write-up. I came from a 1986 Carrera Coupe before picking up my Mondial t Coupe and couldn't agree more about the Mondial charming you with bag fulls of personality. It is a far more delicate, rewarding machine to drive hard. The 911 felt almost truck like in comparison... I don't mean that in a negative way, I just mean there was a heft in the 911 controls that really demanded work while pushing. The Mondial, in contrast, feels silky and lithe seeming to match its elegant but sporty exterior. There's an underlying subtlety when you drive it that I haven't found in any other car. Great to hear that someone else is also really enjoying the experience.

7. PBonneau

PBonneau Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thank you to everyone for replying to my post. It's nice to know I am not alone in loving the Mondial.

Philippe