3.2 exhaust F1 sound | FerrariChat

3.2 exhaust F1 sound

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by EXCELSE, Nov 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    Are there any aftermarket 3.2 exhausts around with x-pipe design to produce the typical F1 sound?
    All the ones I have heard on the net just make more noise but no F1 sound.

On the T it seems to be no problem.
    This is the sound I am looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K623dYgOpJU

2. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
  3. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    Thank you for the links.

The first magnaflow is the closest to the f1 sound.

I think that one day I will have a custom exhaust build.
    Key to the good sound, seems to be equal length from headers to x-pipe and then 2 boxes to reduce the volume.
    With the transverse engine position, it is more of challenge since front bank is further away but on a euro non cat system it should be possible.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Many have tried.

Unfortunately, one limitation is the lower RPM redline when compared to, let's say, the 355.

5. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    I'd agree the links we're awesome and great assortment. I liked the maganflow and have used them on my truck and Camaro currently. I'll have to check fit as have a early 3.2 cab Euro. Currently the stock has been modified by 2" to stick further out. With almost 30 years it's rusty and risky to cut and remove the added on pip length. Trying to find a stock Euro will be spendy and difficult.

6. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
  7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Exactly. Whichever exhaust you'll put on the 3,2 litre V8, it will never give you the F1 sound: it's down to the engine itself, it does not make that noise and can't, whatever you try. By the way, old F1 afficionados like me recall the V8 Cosworth sound, an engine that looks remarkably similar to the QV/3,2: it was not really a nice song...
    To my ear (to my ear: it may differ for someone else...) the nicest sound you'll get from the 3,2 engine is with a Tubi exhaust (muffler) AND Tubi manifolds (or headers) and intermediary pipes. But it is not cheap...and it is not the F1 sound (and the car cannot be "classiched" in that configuration, should you desire to have it "classiched" one day)

Rgds

8. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    This is a clip from a 348.
    It has the same redline as a 3.2 @7500 rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aoogO7PGGg

The high pitch sound start at 4000 rpm so it can not all be rpm related.

I am sure if someone could make an equal length exhaust with x-pipes it can be done.

I might be tempted to have a go at it myselves, a friend of mine is a expert welder.

9. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    FANTASTIC sound!

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #10 Alden, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am in the middle of working on fitting electric exhaust cut out(s) to my 3.2 like I did to the 4.0 in my Jag below.

Different configuration, but I think, with proper set up after the cut out, I will get the sound I want.

Nice thing about the cut outs is you are not stuck with one sound, you can open them a little or a lot and get the sound you want, then close them up and be close to stock, no drone, no upset neighbors!

I am going to try to come up with a kit that will replace the cat with a test pipe so the assembly can be "bolt on" easy.

We'll see.....
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I think the "F1 sound" is generally attributed to the very high RPMs of the Formula 1 Ferraris.

While your 348 example sounds awesome, I wouldn't say that it has an F1 sound (high-pitch whine/wail/buzz). But it's close. :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvWxhhi0_yk[/ame]

BTW, the 348 has the benefit of longitudinal packaging of it's motor. So equal-length exhausts are easier to design/install. Of course, there's always the t Coupe... ;)

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That one has separate mufflers for each bank:

Simpson Race Exhaust For Ferrari 328 | eBay

http://www.simpsonraceexhausts.com

Rgds

13. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
  14. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    From a side link on the video posted by Milko, here is a video of my car, also with a Tubi. The purpose of our ride was to record the sound of the car going through the Windsor/Detroit tunnel.

Regards, Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUSuRplbsnw

15. Nasa1990

Nasa1990 Karting

Sep 18, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Gillian
    Hi guys,

Re-using this older thread instead of starting a new one.

Does anyone know which exhaust was fitted to the Mondial in the YouTube video below? I would love to get a similar sound on my 3.2...

https://youtube.com/shorts/FYGE4bvNJxI?feature=share4

Thanks!