Best Article about the "Moneytron Mondials" | FerrariChat

Best Article about the "Moneytron Mondials"

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, Dec 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wyvb7y8/

Some interesting nuggets:

Just using engine management software, they were able to:

The 3.2L Tipo F105C 32 valve flatplane V8 had been tickled up to 340 horsepower from 270.

The Mondial’s performed well on the long straights of Spa, and recorded a 29th (#73) and 36th (74) time in qualifying out of 68 cars. In Division 5 the #73 was only bested by three Porsche’s and a Ford Sierra, taking 5th in class. The second car settled for 9th.

Hope you enjoy this article as much as I did.

Cheers

2. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Thanks Paul ,

I enjoyed reading it as well. At least the mondials competed .

Best regards ,

audio research

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #3 paulchua, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interested in this, I dug a little more. Sorry if this information is disseminated before.

1989 24 Hours at Spa
    Qualification Time/Race Results

Race Results:
    One Mondial blasted a tire and DNF
    The second one had a faulty breaks/tire - did eventually finish, but not before Keke had some fun (in the middle of the race) with some Ladies of the night.....haha.

This story is hilarious...

In 1989, at the Spa 24 hours, we had problems with the light alloy wheels on our by the Dubois Bros poorly Ferrari Mondials. Becoming hot by the brakes the rims became oval, snatching off time after time the inner brakes. Shortly after midnight we were out of spare wheels, and the team chef [sic] told Keke that it could take four to six hours to repair his car. So what did Keke [do]? He asked me where he could find in Liège the red light district, coming back at seven in the morning to do his next stint, just as if nothing had happened. Oh no, Keke was absolutely not an endurance racer.

One thought I had was this was in 1989 - the t variant should have been out already...I can't help but think that would have shaved off a few more seconds then the other models if Ferrari was willing to give that to Mr. Moneytron.

Still hot laps with 6th and 9th out of a field of 37 with a 4 year old car .. not bad... I mean detractors would have you assume it came it last place.

I believe the 944 came out with the uprated engine in 1989 (not sure if they used that one though) I assume so since the use the MY 1989 911 (964) 3.6 cc engine...that 5th place M3 though - nothing but respect from me.

MY 1989 should be raced with MY 1989...just my $0.02..

As for Ford - always respect from me..especially the RS Cosworth....
    :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    "Moneytron"- what an ironic label to put on ANY Ferrari. Seems like Van Rossem was a decade ahead of Bernie Madoff. Interesting story.

5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    In fact, the things JP Van Rossum has done are common practice nowadays by most of the banks and investment firms... Unfortunately he wasn't backed by politicians or lobbyists so he had to go to jail.

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    It's amusing what lengths people will go to, in order to participate in racing.

The Whittingtons (the ones who stood on the podium at Le Mans), were known for flying non-tobacco smoking products out of South America. And arriving at various race car builders' shops with suitcases full of cash. Earning them a stint in the pokey. I suspect they have no regrets.

7. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    GREAT FIND!!!!

340hp hmmmm.......

I had a look underneath the moneytron ferrari's on the Brussels fair and they had stock euro headers and independent custom mufflers on each bank.

I wonder what else they have done to the car to make it perform that well.