89 T Throttle Cable | FerrariChat

89 T Throttle Cable

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by trainsplanesandautos, Dec 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I thought the day had finally arrived to install the motor, after working on a complete service on my 30k mile T finding differed maintenance all the way. So when I pulled the motor in April I snagged the throttle cable and stretched it. I ordered a new cable and the last thing to do is to install the new cable, I figured a simple process. I was wrong. The cable is stuck in the tube. I have penetrating oil in the tube and plan to try again tomorrow. Has any one done the replacement or had one stuck. I worked on it all day and in wount budge.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Are you saying that a cable end is jammed inside the tube? So it needs to come back out? Not pulled through?

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I had that problem too. I ended up cutting the tube open to free the cable. A lot of work...

4. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thank you, yes the cable is removed from the engine compartment. If the soak does not free it up at the recommendation of Norwood's here in Dallas I put air pressure on the penetrating oil to try to force it into the jam. Today I will get the cutting tools out. It seams part 1 when Ferrari built the car was this tube, the car is literally built around it.

5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Yes, in fact, this is one of the invisible differences between the QV and T versions. With the QV, there is no way the cable can get stuck within the tube. The T on the other hand is a pain in the neck.

6. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well drilled 6 holes in cable tube and could see the problem is rust. Put oil in holes and applies air to distribute oil. The cable would not move. Got out the Drexel tool and a cutoff wheel cut into the tube and opened the tube inside a rusty cable and rust grounds. Was able to pull the rear section out and proceeded to cut more tube it's going to be a slow process which includes removing the center counsel. The plus side is there is no way that the new cable would go into that tube so with it open I can install the new cable and close the tube around the cable. One more day and I should have it out. This is a 28 year old car but still a poor design I would suspect a couple drain holes in the tube would prevent the moisture. I would be interested if Porsche has the same problem.

7. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Some pics would be very helpful. My cable is not always freely moving, gets stuck from time to time and I fear the same condition as you in short order. Where is your blockage? At the curve in the tube that goes under the chassis? Do you speculate that the rust comes from water entering the tube opening above the engine? That seems the only potential source of water into the tube. Or is it the poor metal quality of the tube itself? How was the access to the trouble spot in your case? What lube or treatment are you using other than penetrating oil? Thanks in advance.

8. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Bet someone powerwashed the engine or the bonnet cover at some point. No other easy way for water to get in there.

9. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Been pretty busy all week but will get a few photos tomorrow. Did get the cable out after three days. Came out in pieces and only after major surgery on the tube. I literally had to pry on the cable using vice grips to hold the cable and a pry bar on the shifter to get out the last inch of cable.

10. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Perfect analysis Jay! My problem was for sure due to the engine power wash. It is required for the safety inspection in certain countries like Switzerland to reveal oil and other fluid leaks. I look forward to the pics.