Mondial T, what a surprise! | FerrariChat

Mondial T, what a surprise!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MarchettinoYT, Dec 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarchettinoYT

MarchettinoYT Karting

Jul 10, 2010
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    After having driven so many kind of Ferraris, recently I had the opportunity to test also a friend's Mondial T. I jumped in the car with the idea that's one of my least fav Ferrari, I heard lots of people saying how bad is this car to drive and plus, the fact I don't like its design doesn't help it either. But after this experience I have to change (part) of my opinion! Whereas I still don't find it pretty, I have to say this car is a rather nice surprise because I didn't expected it to bring me such a huge smile on my face! With all these new, high-tech supercars on the market, I'm getting fond more and more in the vintage Ferrari's, I just love their simplicity and lack of electronics and this, the Mondial T is a real jem to drive.

The tubi exhaust was the icing on the cake and the 5-speed manual gearbox was pure fun to play with. The engine doesn't keep you pushed to the seat but I think 300hp is enough to play with. Don't get me wrong, I love speed (I have a 550hp GT-R) but in the world of today it's just too dangerous and risky to drive at high speed due to the high amount of people and speed traps on the road.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9YeJebPWP8

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thanks for the enjoyable video!

Your "surprise" is not unexpected at all. Most people who have dismissed the Mondial have never driven a good one, or any for that matter. And honestly, in my opinion, you started at the top, as I consider the t Coupe to be the best of the breed.

3. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I always say that I never knew that I wanted a Mondial until I drove one. Eventually the words going to get out and the values are really going to skyrocket!

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    ^
    Shhhhh!

Im still hoping to get more garage space, I'm seriously contemplating getting a second!

5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Wonderful video! Makes me feel like jumping in my own Mondial and kicking some @ss! :)

6. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    +1 paulchua... shhhh ;)

7. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    You drove Stefano's Mondial! I love his video's, yours too. Such enthusiasm is addicting.
    Thanks for posting.
    Dave

8. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Thanks for the fantastic video's i love watching them :)

9. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Thanks for sharing the video and your opinion on the drive.

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Fun video. No surprise you liked the Mondial though!

One of the most misunderstood and underestimated cars in modern history.

If you'd driven a QV you'd really be in love! ;)

11. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Is Stefano on Fchat???

12. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    The heck with anyone who would complain about the horsepower,speed,comfort,reliability, looks or anything else of a Ferrari. It is a Ferrari!!!!!!!

13. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I bought my '89 black coupe without a test drive and had it shipped. While it had many items attended to, the engine performance is surprising and the black works to tone down the awkwardness of the design IMHO. I know a lot of people prefer the 1988 and earlier for less complexity, but the t was the choice for me when I started looking.

14. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I owned a QV and I can't get it out of my head how good it felt to drive and the sound, the sound.
    It wasn't difficult to drive but not easy. I have since had an F355 and now a 360. I love this 360 and it sounds great and feels (to me) massively quick but there is something about the Mondial. Maybe because it was my first and I suspect a 308 of the same era be similar. 360's and F355's your grandma could drive. That's important I think with an exotic, it should be a bit difficult.

The T is the best looking with the smoother fenders front and rear and also smaller side vents. However engine out servicing is expensive. If I was to buy another it would be the 3.2 with colour coded bumpers and a little more power than the QV.

Like the GT4 was, the Mondial is still seen by some as a bad car. The 348 was too but is starting to move away from image as is the GT4. Mondial will be next. Why does that happen? I think simply somebody in public eye/automotive authority says it and then everyone is brain washed into believing it. If you actually go out and drive one you will most likely be pleasantly surprised.

There is a LHD Mondial for sale I noted on eBay the other day for £23k (QV). That is the cheapest I've seen in a while. £30k is the least you will get one for now in the UK. I sold mine in 2009 for a mere £9k (a P/X bargain) and hte garage sold it for less than £10k in 2010. It was up for sale last year for £39k. No idea what it sold for. Anyway my point is they are on the up even if they're still the cheapest Ferrari to buy :)

15. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    msdesignltd
    F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Join Date: Nov 2003
    Full Name: Michael

"In time.... saying the 512 tr is better than the testa is like saying the 275 gts was not as nice as the 330 gts
    There are no poor Ferrari's
    Well maybe the mondial
    I wish i would have kept my 87'TR."

= An other "BELIEVER" that never drove a mondial !

Guido