Spare Treatment? | FerrariChat

Spare Treatment?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Subito Grigio, Dec 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    I have an 83 Mondial Cab. The spare seems to either rest in bottom of fiberglass pit or bolt to inside wall with tow eye, all of which seems WRONG! What is the proper enclosure, cradle, mounting method, (pictures please) so I can hunt for proper parts.

Were any of the methods "options" when the '83 cabs were new?

Some poor images I've seen show a leather strap dangling above the spare.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

J

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    My 82 coupe rests on the f-g base but has a leather strap and buckle to secure it too... assumed cab had this too? (See parts diagram on Eurospares.co.uk if that helps??)
    I found ditching the spare had no negative affect on handling, and allowed me to eat more without losing MPG! Apologies if coupe and cab are different beasts and this is of no use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have seen the leather belts in cars, but I am not sure if that is the sole means of support for the spare or if it supplements the tow eye bolt arrangement. A good saddle shop can duplicate the OEM belt if you bring them dimensions and pics. I like the look, kind of "old school Ferrari" with a leather strap holding it in place.

My '88 bolts in with the "special" $250 bolt.

Rather than let it rest on the bottom of the pit, I lift it as I tighten the bolt to take some weight off the fiberglass.

The bottom of the spare well is the lowest part of my car and will take a hit easier than anything down there.

I figure a little less weight on it might help keep it from getting too banged up.

FWIW, my front suspension rides noticeably higher without the spare in place.
    Alden

4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Not sure about an 88, but my 83 has a fixed front toe eye, unlike a 3.2/t screw bolt with a drop loop. So it is just the strap.

Mines early so has a couple of '8' run-ons which might include wheel well fixings.

Think Alden' right about the F-G and weight baring. I may even have sat mine on top of the tool bag, and similarilly used the strap to keep if from being a dead weight.

I rebuilt the suspension and run 348 wheels, so had to realign geometry etc, so not sure I had any noticeable difference with removal of wheel (and tyre) - obviously my 0-60 times improved!!!

5. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    That's 'tow' eye!!

6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    The bottom of my spare pit had cracked. I put tape under it and laid fiberglass in it to strengthen it. sanded the bottom and spry bombed it all. Did I mention I bought my car to wear it out?

7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Don't all EU cars have fixed/welded on tow eyes?

BTW, your OEM Ferrari USA Mondial tow eye is too short to be used. Try it if you don't believe me and then PM me for a solution.

Don't feel bad the TR guys have the same problem.
    Alden

8. wsendelback

wsendelback Rookie

May 12, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    William Sendelback
    My 84 cab successfully uses the tow eye mounting. However, with the wheel reversed in place, it makes it impossible to check the air pressure without removing the spare....and that is a pain in the @&%$. So I attached a long air pressure tube fitting hose to the spare tire valve and ran it through a mounting stud hole so that I can now check the air in the spare without having to remove it.

9. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I thought the tow eye was introduced on the 3.2 ABS cars, 85+?

I've not seen on an 84 (or QV) car? I assume that this was standard then on non euro QV (cabs?)

Funnily enough my parts books show this detail for the 3.2 in the 'inner body' parts tables, but don't have anything for the QV.

But the books do say that the welded front toe eye on QVs is applicable for all markets.

Though I see that 84 QVs in area 'D' got this part: 60837600

So maybe that's a screw fix plate for US cars? More 'F' printing clarity!!!

I appreciate that some people don't like carrying/using cans of tyre weld (my garages hate the stuff).

And one thing I miss about TRX wheels was that the spare fits anywhere, unlike later choices (e.g. 348 17") where front/rear and side are specific; making a spare somewhat redundant.

Sorry this is off thread!!!! Happy to New Year to all.

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #10 Alden, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First pic shows trying to thread the tow eye into the reciever on my Mondial, made it one turn before it hit the bumper. Mine is about 2" too short, and it was funny because my Wife mentioned it first, but may she meant something else. :)

Second pic is the tow eye extension I make for Mondials and TR's.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    That's a neat solution to a problem you'd think the factory would have spotted!!!

I've only seen 3.4ts with eyes in for track use. They've all been the spigot type where the 'eyelet' is a loop that moves- like a D ring. I'm assuming now that they're solutions too.

Out of interest what's the rear solution for .2s and ts?

I have bumpers to swap in the spring, and hadn't thought about rear towing points, but with my driving will need to!

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    As far as I know, there is no provision on the rear of a 3.2 or a "T" for a tow eye receiver, I suppose you could weld one on a frame member somewhere, but getting below the exhaust and such might prove difficult.

Just don't jam the nose into the tires or bales or send her forward over the hill and you will be fine, or spin it at the last minute so she goes in **s first, lol!
    Alden

13. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    I've seen pictures of spare tire storage OEM (?) methods that either employ a type of cradle sitting in the forward well, or that involve a hard cover placed over the spare. Does anyone know whether these "parts" are OEM for Mondials?

14. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Not that I've ever seen. Sounds like the 575/99 type solution.
    Not sure what the problem is the above would solve, except keeping the punctured dirty wheel from putting mud in the fibreglass area once you've swapped.
    I've seen people use the aftermarket red satin covers on a spare, just to brighten up the 'bay'.
    I used an old duvet cover when tracking so I could put the spare in the back of my other car - but soon swapped wheels after cost of replacing TRX tyres!!!