Mondial 3.2 exhaust noise | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 exhaust noise

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by buck74, Jan 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buck74

buck74 Rookie

Dec 14, 2016
    Eau Claire, WI
    Full Name:
    Frank Buckles
    I recently purchased a 1988 Mondial 3.2. Only 21 k miles. It runs great but the exhaust seems a bit to loud. Also when I start it up there seems to be more exhaust coming from the drivers side pipes than the passenger side. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #3 nerofer, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    All 3,2 exhausts (notably 328s) discharge more gases at idle from the driver's side pipes, this is due to the internal disposition of tubes in the exhaust box, notably the "Euro" variant (no catalysator; or is it catalycist?).

Rgds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    This picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for posting it.

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #5 moysiuan, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hard to believe the muffler is a problem with the low mileage. I would first take a look under there and see any signs of perished "doughnut" gaskets at the various cat and tube junctions, make sure the O2 sensor and slow down light thermistor on the muffler are tight (assuming its a US model with the single entry pipe and cat, not the euro catless model pictured in this thread), etc. i.e. check for system leaks. Also make sure the exhaust "spring" hangers and brackets are all in good order and tight, could be the muffler or tips are hitting the grill or something while vibrating with the engine on.

I also note that looking in from the engine bay there is a check valve (# 3in pic) on each bank which is part of the air injection system, these can rot away and fail /leak and sound like an exhaust leak. Wiggle them around as they may look ok at a glance, they corrode from the inside out. Other items relating to the air injection (#4) or test pipes that are on each exhaust manifold (#30 and 52 in second pic) might also have corroded, usually where they join the manifold. Should be able to tell with a visual inspection, or might use a stethescope to pinpoint a noise source for greater certainty while the engine is running.

More remote issues could be a cracked exhaust manifold, and leak at the manifold gasket, but this is so uncommon I would think not likely but anything's possible with a car this age. My bet is the check valves or test port corrosion.

Beyond that, most people complain the Mondial is not loud enough in stock cat/muffler form!

6. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I bet one of the exhaust gas sensor sampling ports is broken/rusted off the manifold. Part 22 or 30 on the diagram. Design weak spot.

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Mine started getting noisy, doughnut joint leaking, lots of popping when going down hill in 3Rd gear and off the throttle is a good indication. Also a huge loss in power with these engines when the exhaust leaks.
    I fixed it and power was restored. Good luck, Bell

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Does anyone actually use the exhaust gas analyzer ports to diagnose anything? Seems like a good idea to have but in practical terms who has actually used or benefited from this type of refined testing? Anyone removed/replaced them without busting things? Mine are fine but do look rusty where they attach at the manifold, and I always wondered whether these things would be a future problem and would be best to proactively replace?

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Those pipes are a convenient test point for misfiring cylinders. Run the engine from cold for a few minutes, then try to hold your finger on the test pipes. If you can, then that cylinder is not firing.

If your pipes are rusty, you could soak them in Metal Rescue, then paint with VHT.

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Per Andy's comment above. I had a check valve fail on mine. At that point it is an exhaust leak and quite loud.

11. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Assuming that the engine appears to be running well, the mixture test I do is as follows.
    To check fuel air mix and engine running I do a plug colour check. This check I do on hot idle, then at 30 mph at 50mph and at 70+mph these tests I do at those steady speeds in turn, I pull over at a set spot and instantly shut down the engine, pull the plugs and note the colours. This I do 3 times for each of the speeds. It normally takes me an hour and I have a good quiet road to do it on. The alternative is to but a rolling road or hire one.
    Regards Bell

12. buck74

buck74 Rookie

Dec 14, 2016
    Eau Claire, WI
    Full Name:
    Frank Buckles
    Thank you guys for all of the information, it is quite loud, so I know something is going on. It runs great however.

13. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    And you are sure it's not an after market sports exhaust?

14. buck74

buck74 Rookie

Dec 14, 2016
    Eau Claire, WI
    Full Name:
    Frank Buckles
    Turns out the inside of the muffler is shot. Trying to find one has been a challenge. The prices where they can be found are all over the place. There is a used one on ebay for $700, it might not be any better than the one I have . :) Maybe I should go into business making after market sports car mufflers. :)

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Before you reinvent the wheel, look up Russ (snj5) and his hot rod 3.2 Coupe. He designed and developed an exhaust or two.

For example:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/192175-carb-mondial-update-bit-technical.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/127652-mondial-modification-upgrade-list-also-308-328-a.html

16. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    My 88 1/2 Mondial 3.2 has exactly the same characteristic of what appears to be more exhaust discharge from one side of the muffler. Furthermore, it's done it w/ 2 different exhaust systems. Two experts on these cars have told me it's normal.

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My 87 mondial box was welded back together 3 times before i junked it, the original ANSAs were not very good and rust away.

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Check the pipe connections as the 3 sided flanges tend to rust away and the firerings become a bit loose and leak when cold