What are common electrical issues solved by new/rebuilt fuse box? | FerrariChat

What are common electrical issues solved by new/rebuilt fuse box?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by James in Denver, Jan 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Hey FChatters!

I just purchased my 88 3.2 in Nov/Dec, test drove it twice before the weather has sorta sucked here in Colorado.

Before purchasing, I knew that the fuse boxes on the older FCars are bad, so I purchased a new/rebuilt fusebox from Stekkefun4 (Stefan) and will install it ASAP.

However, I was wondering what are some of the symptoms of fusebox issues.

My fans seem to work correctly, gauges seem slightly wonky but not out-of-line for my 308 QV (although the speedo is VERY intermittent, not the odo, just the speedo), my trunk/hood releases don't work, but my windows do (although slowly).

What can I expect, other than long term reliability, from replacing the fusebox? What problems will it solve?

I never installed my Birdmans 308 QV fusebox, still have it somewhere. Didn't see the need.

James in Denver

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #2 Alden, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I suppose it depends on how much your current fuse box has deteriorated to date.

But........

It should make everything better, especially your confidence in the car.

Replace the corroded old metal relays with modern sealed Bosch units and also install new fuses. That will perk everything electrical up too. Someone on the forum supplies them as a set. :)

Your "W" connector may be burnt too, but the new box has new connectors for that, see pic below.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Yep, I'm going to get that fuse/relay kit from you.

I don't have any idea about the fusebox supplied by Stefan, so I don't know if the W connector is included or not. I have opened it, just don't know the details. The instructions seem a bit vague, but then again, this was all purchased ahead of actually owning the car.

The main reason for the post is what are the symptoms (other than the burnt connectors shown in your picture) of issues with the factory fuse box?

Will the gauges be more steady/true/reliable? Will the windows work better/faster? Will this solve the issues with the trunk/hood not opening via buttons? Could the speedo issue be caused by the fusebox?

I get that the "reliability" is strengthened, but what issues have people had with the old factory fuse boxes that have been solved with the new/rebuild fuse boxes (specifically with Stefan's from his supplier).

Any input is appreciated.

James in Denver

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I think the big problem with the fuse box is when the fuel pump stops working. Some people wire up the fuel pump separately.

The problem I see is that the female connectors inside the white plastic housing can come loose. A simple fix is to bend them back into position so they are tight, then apply contact cleaner. Of course if everything is already burned up, components will have to be replaced.

What I would suggest you do is pull all the white plastic connectors out, and inspect them. If nothing is burned, or loose, then the fuse box is probably not your problem.

The only problem I have had with my 86, is that the lights for the dash went out. Cleaning and tightening all the fuse box female connectors in the plastic housing fixed that problem. This is the original fuse box, which still works fine.

Keep trying the lid switch, it might just be corroded. It's important to exercise ALL of the switches regularly, or they might quit working.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #5 Wade, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'll add again, "it depends" i.e. what's wrong with the one you have and which replacement board you will use/need.

I had an intermittent "no crank" issue (no starter click either) and running the a/c was burning some wires, plus some random drivability issues throughout the RPM range.

Afterwards, none of those problems ever occurred and the motor ran smoother and pulled stronger than ever before.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142162518-post3.html
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    There are 37 (all kind of) Ferraris for the moment that have installed that fusebox. So I assume there whas a problem with the OEM of all those.
    Burned wire connectors (because of to little connectors) most of the time.
    Other problems ; fusion of the plastic layers with strange effects all kind. Connectors of relais, fuses and wire connectors coming loose. Sometime you have contact, sometime no contact.
    OEM has 2 circuits on his board, so sometimes 1 circuit is overloaded and gets hot.
    That fuseboard you have from Stefan has 1 round circuit over its complet board, so load is spread over all the + contacts. The 2 big + connectors are also connected to avoid overload.
    It has bigger connectors with 2 pins of 2.5 mm2 instead of the little 1 pin 1.25 mm2 OEM for all relais, bigger male connectors for the wire contacts and the fuses have harder spring contacts that holds the fuses better. When loose they can be closed again in case. OEM connectors can't be closed again...they will stay open and the fuse will stay loose.
    By the way, its me that makes them. Avantage is you can always repear it when there is a problem. OEM board repear is not done...its gets worse instead of better !
    The problems you mention, like window speed, most of the time have other origins. But a relaible fusebox is the first investment you have to think of, when you have electric problems.
    You can always count on us (Stefan and me) when you are in the need for assistants or more information. PM me in case ! You also can download for free an installation manual for this fusebox : Ferrari Remanufactured Parts for your Ferrari classic cars like fuseboxes and other

Guido

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You said it! No point in troubleshooting a problem when the primary component has issues as well.

8. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Thanks for that description!!! Stefan did mention "Guido" as his supplier and now I know it's you!!!

Thanks!!!

James in Denver

9. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    James,

Headed to cars and coffee in Golden tomorrow?

10. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Hey!

Unfortunately, I'm not. I still haven't made time to get tags on the car. It's insured, and I got the emissions (as posted), but with the holidays, I've been too busy to make it to the DMV. That's on my list of things to do next week!

And, for that matter, the roads in the south metro aren't that great... :( WTH is up with negative degrees here in Colorado???

James in Denver