Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > Mondial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Karting
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Cody L
Scott,

Looking forward to seeing her in person when she arrives in Atlanta. Oh and of course meeting you too

Best,
Cody
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Scottmar
Car arrived yesterday at 1pm by Passport Transport from Houston. Turnaround time was 1 day to Peachtree city, Ga. That was unexpected. Was in a hurry, so could only drive it around the block, so will drive it this weekend. It looks great though, could use some detailing and tlc, but generally, very well cared for. Cody, we will have to get the red twins together when I get everything settled and checked out with the car.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

I was finally able to drive the car this weekend on some nice country roads. And just to note, the dealer who I purchased it from, Driver Source, in Houston, put new Bridgestone V rated tires on the car, which was a pleasant surprise. The engine ran perfectly, it appears to be in very good tune. Handling was impressive for a heavy car, I could feel the rear weight bias in a hard turn, it really felt a lot like an early 911, but with even more counterweight, but the handling was rock solid, and in a constant radius turn with power on it just kept gripping. It felt similar to the Boxer, but the Boxer felt heavier, maybe due to no power steering. The Boxer makes a little more noise, especially induction sound. And comparing to the 246 GT coupe I had, it does feel larger and heavier, because it obviously is. The 246 feels like a large go cart with not a lot of power but great steering feel and you see easily over the front fenders to point where you want to go. But the road feel through the steering is the same on all three cars. You just feel everything, and that inspires confidence.
All in all, I was very happy, it is a wonderful car, and I look forward to more time with it.
I did have a couple of issues i resolved this weekend. One, was that the shock warning light came on while driving. I found the driver side module on top of the shock was not properly engaged. I re-engaged it and the light came off. I also fixed the driver door panel where the inside window "fuzzy strip" was loose and it had loosened the door panel vinyl. I removed the upper panel and re-glued everything. When you see the wrapped panel, it reminds you that even in 1989 these cars were virtually handmade, even with hand numbered markings on the door inside. I did a lot of other little fixes of loose door panel screws, broken rear passenger grab handle, etc. I attached a couple pics of the door panel and car.
Two questions I want to ask other owners.
The plastic panel between the seats that covers the switches is partly unglued. I tried to remove it, but the two knobs, for fan speed, etc, did not easily come loose, so i did not want to break them. Does anyone know how to remove them?
Also, is this car ok to run on premium unleaded with 10% ethanol? Are there seals, such as at injectors that can be damaged? Does it need to run on premium non-ethanol?
Thanks, and it was was a lot of fun playing with this car this weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170114_170942910.jpg (71.0 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170114_112915681.jpg (42.6 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170114_115000850.jpg (29.5 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170114_171105545_HDR.jpg (63.1 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170114_171010129, copy.jpg (64.2 KB, 259 views)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

One other thing that i was very impressed with, and that was braking. I did threshold braking from triple digit plus speed and considering size of rotors and vehicle weight, the car stopped very fast and straight. Not modern supercar standards, but impressive nonetheless.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 01-17-2017, 01:04 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Malc
Looks good
Old 01-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Dave W
Nice t, Congrats. The gas tank is aluminum, as far as I know, so non-ethanol is preferred over the long term. Having said that, all we can get is E10 and we haven't had any fuel related problems in the 10 years since we purchased our t. There are known problems with the rubber insulators surrounding the fuel pumps deteriorating. Don't know if ethanol causes the problem.

Dave

Dave
Old 02-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Michael
Great looking car, enjoy the drive lots of fun, hey it looks like my T coupe, is it manual or Valeo??
Old 02-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebdave View Post
Nice t, Congrats. The gas tank is aluminum, as far as I know, so non-ethanol is preferred over the long term. Having said that, all we can get is E10 and we haven't had any fuel related problems in the 10 years since we purchased our t. There are known problems with the rubber insulators surrounding the fuel pumps deteriorating. Don't know if ethanol causes the problem.

Dave

Dave
Scott: According to the Pure-Gas (non-ethanol) site, there is a Chevron and a Shell in Atlanta supplying E-0 fuel. Hope this helps. Nice car and hope you enjoy it!

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Dave
Doesn't almost all gas sold in stations contain ethanol now? I didn't know there was a choice, nor did I know it was to be avoided. My last 3 cars all have/had aluminum heads and ran on premium w/ethanol.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:15 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Congratulations on your first drive in the T!

The plastic console panel is easily warped and will delaminate too, probably what yours is doing when you say it is "unglued." It is very easy to damage/crack when you are working with it. Hard to get in them good condition and expensive if you do find one to purchase. Be gentle or be prepared to live with the warps and cracks or pay to replace it.

Someone on the forum posted about straightening theirs out by placing the panel between pieces of granite countertop and then heating the entire fixture in the oven.

The fan and temperature knobs on my 3.2 are held on by two very small hex head screws that you access from the side of the knobs. I don't recall the size, but try an assortment of your smallest hex wrenches or hex tips and you will find one that fits. Do not lose the tiny screw!

I run my 3.2 on 90 US octane ethanol free fuel. She seems to start, run and perform better than with the 10% ethanol 93 US octane Shell Premium I ran when I first got her. Smells better too, much less acrid than when running the ethanol fuel with my gutted catalytic converters.

Not sure about your 3.4, but my 3.2 only requires 89 US octane fuel.

Alden

Last edited by Alden; 02-17-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:56 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemqv View Post
Doesn't almost all gas sold in stations contain ethanol now? I didn't know there was a choice, nor did I know it was to be avoided. My last 3 cars all have/had aluminum heads and ran on premium w/ethanol.
Yes. Most gasoline now contains 10% ethanol and is known as E-10. A few stations sell gasoline without ethanol (E-0) for automotive use and in small engines such as lawn mowers, snow blowers, chain saws, etc. I won't get into it all right here, but there are numerous threads on FChat about the problems caused by too much ethanol in gasoline, especially in older cars not designed for it. Ethanol is also available at most marinas now due to the damage it has caused in boat engines. However, the fuel at marinas does not include road tax and it is a bit of a thorny issue running it in cars to avoid the road tax. E-0 costs anywhere from 50 cents to a dollar a gallon more than gasoline containing ethanol. The additional cost is due to the fact that E-0 is (1) a speciality fuel, and (2) the base stock before any blending is higher octane and costs more to produce.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:12 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmar View Post
I was finally able to drive the car this weekend on some nice country roads. And just to note, the dealer who I purchased it from, Driver Source, in Houston, put new Bridgestone V rated tires on the car, which was a pleasant surprise. The engine ran perfectly, it appears to be in very good tune. Handling was impressive for a heavy car, I could feel the rear weight bias in a hard turn, it really felt a lot like an early 911, but with even more counterweight, but the handling was rock solid, and in a constant radius turn with power on it just kept gripping. It felt similar to the Boxer, but the Boxer felt heavier, maybe due to no power steering. The Boxer makes a little more noise, especially induction sound. And comparing to the 246 GT coupe I had, it does feel larger and heavier, because it obviously is. The 246 feels like a large go cart with not a lot of power but great steering feel and you see easily over the front fenders to point where you want to go. But the road feel through the steering is the same on all three cars. You just feel everything, and that inspires confidence.
Thanks for the comparisons. Interesting that it feels similar to the Boxer. Curious how my QV would compare (also no power steering). I've never thought of comparing the weight distribution to an early 911. That's interesting as well.

Enjoy!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

I think the manual says 92 octane. I found a station about 10 miles away that sells 90 octane non-ethanol, and amazingly a station only 2 miles away that sells 100 octane Sunoco racing fuel. so i think i will mix in a little of the 100 octane to try to get close to 92 octane total. I'm a little concerned that not many people buy the 100 octane, and hope it isn't stale or has moisture from sitting a long time in the tank. Interestingly, a fuel truck driver told me that they deliver e-10 and non-ethanol in the same trucks, so expect that there could be some ethanol even in advertised non-ethanol. It's probably a very small percentage though.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden View Post
Congratulations on your first drive in the T!

The plastic console panel is easily warped and will delaminate too, probably what yours is doing when you say it is "unglued." It is very easy to damage/crack when you are working with it. Hard to get in them good condition and expensive if you do find one to purchase. Be gentle or be prepared to live with the warps and cracks or pay to replace it.

Someone on the forum posted about straightening theirs out by placing the panel between pieces of granite countertop and then heating the entire fixture in the oven.

The fan and temperature knobs on my 3.2 are held on by two very small hex head screws that you access from the side of the knobs. I don't recall the size, but try an assortment of your smallest hex wrenches or hex tips and you will find one that fits. Do not lose the tiny screw!

Alden
Here's the thread Alden references. I did this repair too and it came out really well. My pics are toward the end of the linked string.

Un-warping a Mondial Console Switch Cover
Old 03-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Eric
BaT Auction

Scott,

I believe I was the other main bidder on that BaT auction. Assuming this is the one that took place about 12/22 or so. Congratulations again on a great auction and an even better car.

Since the auction, I have scratched my itch with an 03 456M gt (6-speed) in TdF blue with a tan interior (Daytona seats and blue dash, inserts, and steering wheel) so we both ended up with nice new to us rides.

Stay in touch,

Eric
Old 03-20-2017, 05:53 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Eric
Glad to her from you. Also sounds like quite a nice car you purchased. The color combination must look great on that car.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Eric
Shouldn't steal a Mondial thread, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmar View Post
Eric
Glad to her from you. Also sounds like quite a nice car you purchased. The color combination must look great on that car.
It does. I like it ALOT! And your Mondial looks gorgeous. The pics posted here almost look more Rosso Barchetta than Rosso Corso.

Anyway, a small sample of the 456....and New England weather is not being very cooperative to getting much drive time in. Got the car in the third week of January so its been almost 2 months and I've managed one quick run from the western Boston suburbs up to Nashua and back. One drive, maybe 45 miles....arrggghhhh....time for Spring!!

Picture is from previous owner in Florida....not representative of REAL weather....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P007Web.jpg (113.6 KB, 40 views)