On Track Impressions of my T Coupe | FerrariChat

On Track Impressions of my T Coupe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ATLdoghouse, Jan 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    Happy New Year to the Mondial Group!

I just got back from a initially wet, on Saturday morning, then cloudy, and then sunny Sunday, but overall very cold weekend at Roebling Road near Savannah GA. I took my '97 E36 M3 and the T Coupe. The M3 has coil overs, race seats, 1/2 roll cage, and Hankook Ventus Race Slicks, but mechanically is all stock. The Ferrari had new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, suspension set to Hard mode, but otherwise as she arrived to me this past summer.

I've been to Roebling many times and am very familiar with the track, especially when driving my M3. I had been driving the Mondial daily for almost two months and had become very familiar with it's nuances and general street feel.

I was not prepared for how she felt on the track in wet or dry conditions. Turn ins were crisp, with slight under steer instantly corrected by applying power through out the turn, the rear end sets perfectly and it's incredibly easy feel the rotation or slide and when to apply a slight steering correction to keep her where you want. Braking was excellent and without fade. The car is simply the most predictable handling car I think I've ever driven on track.

The one draw back was the stock seat belts. Just couldn't get or keep them snug enough. Otherwise the seats were snug enough to keep you from sloshing from side to side. With a better harness set, I'd just never drive anything else on the track.

Absolutely amazing. I'm not sure I'll get the smile off my face for months.

Now back to work and reality.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks Cody for the great review. I agree with the amazing neutrality. You can get it to slide pretty easily without doing a 360. I think the key for me was the tires, I had some older all season tires initially and that was very scary. When to Advan Neova R8s - very fun experience. Agreed with the breaks too - very robust!!!

My benchmark was a my old AP01 S2000 (SCCA Class A) - that was a way beyond my skill level - did a few unintended donuts with that track beast, the t' = much more forgiving.

Agree 100% about the seat belts too!!

Great Post.

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Good that you drove it in the wet. The Mondial is a fun handling car in the dry and sliding it about is a delight. As you say understeer is corrected with power and power controls the ballance nicely, overall the car is predictable and fun in the dry. The only thing I don't like with the car is the lift off weight shift mid corner on the limit, which in the dry is very noticable and in the wet can result in an unplanned slide. My Lotus does not suffer from this and will even withstand hard braking on the corner limit. That said as long as all the moves are planned in the Ferrari all is well and the handling is pedictable and fun, IMHO.
    Regards Bell

4. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Did you have any timed runs under similar conditions as ones in your M3?

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Get one or two of these for now, I use them on street cars that occasionally see track use:
    CG-Lock Seat Belt Lock - Porsche Parts and Accessories
    Alden

6. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    I've used those before, but what I found was that they tend to fray the edge of the seat belt after extended use, which will lead to belt failure. I'd prefer a solution similar to the Schroth QuickFit like I use for my M3 which allows me to retain the stock belt for non-track driving.

7. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Old trick that used to work was to turn the seat belt 360 degrees before inserting it into the buckle. On most cars, it will tend to lock up much quicker. Never tried it on the Mondial.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Good to hear your positive experience with it on track.

I agree that the T is remarkably good straight out the box. The only things I did was fit a 4 point Sabelt Race Harness (bolts through the firewall with mounted plate) to stop me moving around, Pirelli P Zero C tyres, and a Tubi. It's manners and analogue handling means you can engage with it's progressive nature and there are no nasty surprises. Truly a great all round car. Enjoy ! :)

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  10. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Cody,

You probably already know this, this is a video of your car when it was here in Colorado. I kept meaning to post this when you first bought the car. I juist ran across it on YouTube again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhC8tDO4UX4

Always thought this was a cool "t"

John

11. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I understand that the T engine layout solves the oil starvation that can occur with the 8 and QV and 3.2 transverse engines. I watched my oil pressure drop to zero in my 308 in the turn 2 sweeper at Willow Springs. What are the current day fixes for this in the non-T Mondials?

12. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Memory is fuzzy, but I bought an oil baffle that were designed to mitigate the oil sloshing in the pan. Want to say this was addressed by the 3.2??
    Sold my 308 before I installed it.