Electric Mondial - is this the future? :( | FerrariChat

Electric Mondial - is this the future? :(

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondi88, Jan 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Watched a fairly well known English TV programme last night, Wheeler Dealers, where they take a car needing some TLC and revamp it for sale. Its been set in the US for the last few series. For this one, they source an '85 Maserati Bi-turbo from a dear old lady who wants to simply give it away (after her husband passed away) that was seemingly in great condition and had been, some years ago, converted to an electric power plant. The programme was about them bringing that electric "engine" into the 21st century, with continual references to the fact this is becoming a more common thing to do.

By the end of it, I couldn't help but feel sad! Is this truly the way forward - in 50 years time, will our beloved cars with those glorious V8's all be running around silently? For me, the car IS the engine - the noise, the smell, the oil - the mechanics. It was undeniably an impressive conversion, but for me, the car was left utterly soulless.

The conversion was around $20k. My question - if your engine goes bang tomorrow, would anyone actually consider this as an option?

2. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I've been saying for about 3 years now that the days of the Ferrari combustion engine are seriously numbered, underlined last week by the announcement of an electric 4 door saloon that will go on sale next year with a range of 420 miles and a 0-60mph time of 2.3seconds! And lets not forget that the Tesler is already a Ferrari beater.
    Ferrari will have to rethink their policy of not ditching the IC engine. Cars will also be much cheaper and simpler mechanically. The future is nearly here.....
    Also as liquid fuel becomes scarcer on the forecourts many classics may well get converted to electric but with original engines in situ for show, with batteries and speed controllers in the front wheel area and direct drive motors on the rear wheels and a sound generator, who would know it's not running on petrol. As for values of all of these old dinosaurs who knows.....as petrol cars alone I think values will plummet, only electric conversions will save them IMHO
    Regards Bell

3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I think perhaps in the future we will all be driving cars with an electric motor. However, I suspect Ferrari's will likely be the last to go into the scrap heap. There will probably be enough biofuel around for a Sunday drive. I still see Model A's running around, and they're close to 100 years old now.

Converting a vintage Ferrari to electric, would be a great way to destroy it's value.

4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think new cars will all be hybrid/electric very soon. But IC engine cars, including our Mondial's, will be on the road for a long time. There's no reason to outlaw them, exotic/classics are a small minority of what's on the road.

The average IC car will just phase out over time, but probably fairly quickly. 20 years? Electric cars still have some issues. Even at a range of 420, recharging is an issue. And the first time one of those batteries catches fire and burns down someone's house, people are going to get very nervous.

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
  6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Electric cars are not in the future they are in the present. Like anything else they have pros and cons but you have to drive one to appreciate it. Of course the NO NOISE is very deceptive if you drive for pleasure of sport car but for an everyday commuter I think it is the way to go for near future.

But I would'nt go all the trouble to convert an old Ferrari. The SOUND has to come with them with the 3 pedals and the gated shifter.

7. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, promise I'm not burying my head in the sand with regards to the rapid emergence of electric vehicles today, the post was really to understand the appetite of this forum to follow that route if we had catastrophic engine failure, how many would be tempted with this option.

For me, an electric Mondial is just not.....a Mondial. It just won't sound or smell like one. And it's those two things that make it a Ferrari.

That 308 thread was interesting - I think that's the company that featured on this programme.

8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I must admit I'm wondering what us 'steam powered' collectors will do for fuel when garages stop selling the stuff in the next 10 years. Maybe there will be just 1 vintage fuel station in every town. Or maybe we will have to have the highly volatile liquid delivered and keep it in a a fuel tank at home.
    It's interesting how digital has wiped out the 'film' in the film industry when it was said that there could be no replacement for film and the film look. And yet here we are with virtually nobody shooting film and those that do can't get it processed easily. All this has happened suddenly in the last 6years. Food for thought... :)

9. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    My uncle has a country place
    That no one knows about
    He says it used to be a farm
    Before the Motor Law

And now on Sundays I elude the eyes
    And hop the turbine freight
    To far outside the wire where my
    White-haired uncle waits

Jump to the ground as the turbo slows
    To cross the borderline
    Run like the wind as excitement shivers
    Up and down my spine

But down in his barn
    My uncle preserved for me
    An old machine
    For fifty-odd years

To keep it as new
    Has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris
    That hides a shining car

A brilliant Red Barchetta
    From a better vanished time

We'll fire up the willing engine
    Responding with a roar
    Tires spitting gravel
    I commit my weekly crime

Wind
    In my hair
    Shifting and drifting
    Mechanical music
    Adrenaline surge

Well-oiled leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Suddenly ahead of me
    Across the mountainside
    A gleaming alloy air-car
    Shoots towards me two lanes wide

Oh, I spin around with shrieking tires
    To run the deadly race
    Go screaming through the valley
    As another joins the chase

Ride like the wind
    Straining the limits
    Of machine and man

Laughing out loud with fear and hope
    I've got a desperate plan

At the one-lane bridge
    I leave the giants stranded
    At the riverside

Race back to the farm
    To dream with my uncle
    At the fireside

10. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
  11. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
  12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well, they still sell diesel, so I imagine there will be gas stations for a long time.

Same thing with power. Reducing the load on coal doesn't necessitate ceasing it's use altogether. Maybe over time, but I'd wager 50 years versus 15.

13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  14. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    That is it, I am going to do my Mondial interior "steam punk" style and drive wearing leather and a top hat with goggles on top.
    Alden

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

15. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    An 'electric Ferrari,' may be electric, but

IT WILL NEVER BE A FERRARI.

16. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Perhaps. But benefits both environmental and performance wise are limited. CO2 emissions are not lower in comparison, only if you have excess renewable electricity in the grid - and we're still very far off from that, not to mention the pollution caused by adapting all the infrastructure and vehicles themselves. In a way it actually creates a need in the shorter term for more power plants since most cars are charged at night when the sun doesn't shine.

Quick acceleration is nice but the average driver does not need it, nor is it useful or safe in many instances. You can make relatively cheap petrol cars that accelerate quickly, but it is not done and they don't sell very well, why? Because the average driver is very happy with 8-10 sec or more to 100 acceleration.
    And don't forget big oil, soooo many jobs depend on oil and related industry it is not funny. My take is that fuel powered vehicles will be around for quite a while longer than you'd expect, and yes - just as oat for horses is still readily available if you know where to look, the same will be true for fuel. My only fear is treehuggers getting their way. Fortunately the powers that be have their views on that, even Hillary has said that global warmists should get a life and we know where Trump stands.

17. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    From WIKI as to the origins of the song...

------------
    Background
    The song was inspired by the futuristic short story "A Nice Morning Drive", written by Richard Foster and published in the November 1973 issue of Road and Track magazine. The story describes a similar future in which increasingly stringent safety regulations have forced cars to evolve into massive Modern Safety Vehicles (MSVs), capable of withstanding a 50-mile-per-hour impact without injury to the driver. Consequently, drivers of MSVs have become less safety-conscious and more aggressive, and "bouncing" (intentionally ramming) the older, smaller cars is a common sport among some.

Rush drummer and lyricist Neil Peart made several attempts to contact Foster during the recording of Moving Pictures, but Road and Track did not have an up-to-date address, and Rush were forced to settle for a brief "inspired by" note in the lyric sheet mentioning the story. In July 2007, Foster and Peart finally made contact with one another. Foster later posted on his website an account of their journey by motorcycle through the backwoods of West Virginia between stops on Rush's 2007 Snakes & Arrows Tour.

Barchetta, literally "small boat" in Italian, is the diminutive form of barca ("boat" or "craft"). In the automotive industry, the term is used for a two-seat car without any kind of roof. The proper Italian pronunciation is Italian pronunciation: [barˈketta], although it is sung with a "ch" sound by Geddy Lee.
    ---------------
    Interestingly, the original short story in 1973 is not all too different from today's world...

James in Denver

18. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    A Rush fan and you have never heard this? Wow. Right from being an impressionable teenager this song has sent chills down my spine. As stated above it has a story and is not all Peart's idea. As with most Rush work, it is brilliant.

As for the Bi-Turbo on Wheeler Dealers. I enjoyed it whilst found it sad. They justified it to some extent because apparently that engine had reliability issues. I guess WD are trying to be PC with the show too. At then end of it the car was not really any quicker and IMO lacking any character. However I never drove it I suppose, they seemed to enjoy it.

I'm more concerned not for electric cars (keep pondering about perhaps a Tesla 3 if they ever arrive) but autonomous cars. You see I don't think they will truly work until all cars are autonumous. I'm not about to even consider the idea of my Ferrari as autonomous if it was possible and to what end?
    Electric cars and ICE can live together but autonomous? I don't really think they can.

As for converting any Ferrari to electric - No, I stand by this for most sports cars.

19. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Autonomous is still quite far off too, especially in cities and secondary roads. Tesla makes all kinds of claims regarding safety saying their system is better but their system is only allowed to be used on the safest roads. They cannot outlaw self driving for a very long time, I don't think I will live to see that day.

20. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    To answer the OP, engine goes pop, then definitely an electric conversion for me.
    Obviously there are disadvantages, but having it as a daily driver with no maintenence and pennies running cost would be awesome.

21. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Late chirp in here but did see that show and liked it... watched it being put together over a few months as well..... Got to say it was "made for TV". That car was already an 80's EV conversion sitting in a "relatives" garage. The cost is reflective of substantial discounts, no labor, etc. (built prior to filming). The VW basic kit costs $20k. The Maserati had Tesla Smart cels, twin AC 34's and was/is fairly drivable. Certainly a good value for what the "buyer" did pick it up for! The suspension needs a good shake down as it is soft and sags in the rear due to the rear balancing of the car. Fun driver, average looking and at least really reliable now.

Not even remotely reflective of the 78 308 Ferrari conversion, restoration & mod quality & cost. If only it was :(.

22. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I suspect autonomous vehicles are not too far off. Test vehicles are on the road now. Considering how bad the average driver is (especially when drunk), improvement will probably not be that hard.

Tesla predicts crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om3z1yLQtwo