Mondial Feature | FerrariChat

Mondial Feature

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by zmayne, Jan 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zmayne

zmayne Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Full Name:
    Zachary Mayne
    #1 zmayne, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am sitting here in Albuquerque today, nice car! I spent the first 42 years of my life here and do miss it. Hopefully I get some time to read through your write up but I loved the photos.

3. zmayne

zmayne Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Full Name:
    Zachary Mayne
    That's great! People talk a lot of crap about New Mexico, but I love it here. Glad you liked the photos.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thank You Zachary,

Beautiful photos and an excellent write-up.

Huge thanks for this. I will post a link to this article on my site now.

Cheers

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I see the 358 badge on the back, interesting.

Haven't clicked the link yet...

6. PBonneau

PBonneau Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi, Zachary

I own a 1986 3.2 Mondial Cabriolet, and I live in Rio Rancho. I would very much like to meet you. Perhaps we could get together sometime soon.

I saw your 358 Mondial at Carobu Engineering last year. Bert takes care of my Mondial. In fact, he has just finished an engine-out service on my car.

If my offer to meet is of interest to you, please feel free to contact me at 505-620-2239. I frequently can be found at Cars&Coffee on Jefferson on Saturday mornings.

I have often wondered what happened to your 358 Mondial, and I am glad it is here locally. I look forward to hearing from you!

Philippe

7. zmayne

zmayne Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Full Name:
    Zachary Mayne
    Thanks for sharing the story!

8. zmayne

zmayne Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Full Name:
    Zachary Mayne
    Hi Philippe, yes I saw your Mondial at Carobu when I was there doing some photography work for them. Beautiful, love the Prugna color. I will definitely contact you.

I wish I could say the Mondial was mine. It was actually Carobu's development car and I was able to do a writeup on it. I believe the car was sold to someone in Silver City, NM.

9. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    Quick question, is there more HP to be expected if one was to use the 4-valve (speak QV or 3.2) head or did they get the maximum flow there is by going oversize on 2-valves?
    cheers
    braq

10. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I suppose one of the things that has worried me the most about my QV is that when I had the propelling unit out for an engine change I sent a picture of the transmission input shaft with my thumb next to it to a friend. I don't have a big thumb and they are about the same. Anytime additional power is added something becomes the weak link and I don't know what that is. When added power is applied what is the first to fail?

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The gearbox is robust! I've put over 500 lb/ft of TQ thru them with no issues. The clutch is the first to slip at high tq, once that's fixed the next is actually the tires. The 308/328 is not a heavy vehicle and can only put down so much traction, that's its real limiting factor. Avoid clutch dumps and it's be hard to break anything. Besides the engines even heavily modified do not produce tons of tq down low to break things.

12. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Zach, I greatly enjoyed this and the two other articles of yours that I read while on the site. The fact that your evaluations of the Turbo Esprit and 328 so closely parallel my own made your feedback on the hot-rod Mondial all the more insightful for me. And it was nice to read a piece that treated the Mondial with respect without sounding like you were making excuses for the car. I'm not a Mondial owner and I doubt I ever will be, but even so it still bothers me to read the unkind comments the model receives all too often. I'm of the mind that there's no such thing as a "bad" Ferrari model so AFAIC dissing on the Mondial is like saying that one supermodel isn't as hot as another supermodel.

Thanks for posting the link. I enjoy your writing. BTW, I hope you won't mind a suggestion from an occasional pedant, but watch your its and it's. :)

13. zmayne

zmayne Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Full Name:
    Zachary Mayne
    Mike, I'm always open to suggestions. I will look it over again. I'm a one-man show at the moment!