Plastic Rear Window Cracked in the Cold | FerrariChat

Plastic Rear Window Cracked in the Cold

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jimzdancewicz, Jan 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Hello All. Did a stupid thing and tried to put the top-up Sunday and take her for a spin, but the window cracked in the process. I should know better than to try this in 35 degree weather or should have stored it in up position.

Question, has anyone replaced only the rear window? The top is in otherwise great condition with no rips and tears. After two calls it seems that since you have to take the top off to fix, you might as well replace it?

Any thoughts on repair vs replace? Any good recommendations for just the window and/or the top?

thanks
    Jim Z

2. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Let me help you out here. I have learned an awful lot about a mondial cabriolet in the past almost six years. When I got my car the top was a royal PITA to put down and even worse to raise. So bad in the first couple of years it went down in the summer and stayed down. My top was showing it's age so two years ago I bought a top off ebay for around 525.00. I think they are still around that. It is a very decent quality and to replace the window the top will have to be removed anyhow. Why put a new window in an old top. My installer did a fabulous job but it was more for installation than the cost of the top. He told me NEVER put the top down and leave it. Your problem may well have had nothing to do with temperature. Fold a piece of plastic for 3 months and see what happens. Here is where it gets interesting. The problem has always been hooking and latching the top. The first try is always at least a two person job. I was lucky enough to find two new adjustable latches but they almost instantly broke. Connecting link was pot metal and a very poor design. Replacement links are available and I understand work well. I went to my local hardware store and got materials to fabricate my own links. What I did was make mine a custom length which made the initial latch a one man operation. Then side to side a couple times and you were done. The reason I have taken you on this long journey is because my installer told me some things that made a.lot of sense. You top needs to be stored in the up position. Plastic wrinkles and fabric shrinks. I made the connecting links for my latches 1/4 inch shorter and they hook up almost effortlessly. Every time it goes to bed now the top is up. Hope this is a help for you. If you would like detailed pictures of my latches send me a PM. Good luck and enjoy!

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    The top on my Mondial has been down for a couple of months now.

After reading this thread, I went out in the garage late last night and put it up!

It was 38 here in sunny Central Florida this morning, the garage was warmer, but why take a chance?

Thanks!
    Alden

4. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Now, after reading that, I'm not sure which is worse – operating the top on a cabriolet or attempting to use the sunroof on a coupe! Seems about even in terms of potential nightmares... :(

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    The top, properly adjusted, with good latches is actually pretty easy to operate.

I don't think we do it often enough to remember the small details in the procedure that make it easy.

Second roof bar up or down?
    Pull forward on the B pillars when closing the top.
    Back windows down not up!
    Don't be in a hurry and break an OEM toggle.

I have done (or not done) all of these things and still can, on a good day, have the top up without fanfare!
    Alden

6. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Thanks Everyone. The top is literally never up on the car. I'm of the belief that convertible tops were for emergencies only. I probably have only driven it 1 or 2 times with the top up in two years. So I need to remember to put it up from time to time to "exercise it". I have contacted a reputable upholstery shop and will be taking her in for a new top. After a few calls and price comparison, it's not wise to replace just the window on a 24-year old top. Cheers

7. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    It gets cold here in MD also. I drive mine every chance I get so a top is needed this time of year. You will like a new top.