Oil drain back with stand pipe in filter | FerrariChat

Oil drain back with stand pipe in filter

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by srephwed, Feb 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I have read a hundred different things about oil pressure and stand pipes. I had used the UFI filter and switched to the baldwin B253. You can see the pipe in both. My trouble is that when I started the car a couple weeks back It seemed to take a very long time to build pressure. I mean 6,7 maybe 8 seconds or so. It was chilly that day. Fast forward to today. The car had not been started since then. I pulled the filter and there is no evidence of any oil in it. Is it possible that even with the pipe oil will eventually completely drain from filter and it is like starting it dry? Thanks for any advice

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If it get empty it's because the anti-drain valve on the inlet holes is leaking. If they have a hard plastic valve it happen. Silicone valve are better.

3. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Can you tell me where these are? thanks

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    In the time I have owned Ferraris with upright filter from 308's to 348's I have never seen one of those filters hold oil after a few months. They all leak out until dry. The cars survive just fine. Don't worry about it just change your oil and filter as needed.

5. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    +1

6. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Define "chilly"?! What oil viscosity and type are you using? For example, if it was below freezing, and you're running a mineral (non-synthetic) 20W50, then your oil was very thick, almost like molasses, and it will take noticeably longer to build oil pressure on an ambient cold start.

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Sure after a long period it can get empty but it's not worse then when you do a oil change and the new filter is empty.

I'm a strong believer in only using OEM oil filters in my cars. The factory know what is needed to respect the warranty in their designed products.

I've had Fords almost my entire life. I once bought a used F150 from a used car dealer that had a Fram PH8A on it. After a short time the 351 windsor engine started to knock on morning startup, every day. I had NEVER in my life owned a Ford that would knock. Went to the Ford dealer and bought the correct FL1A filter and installed it. It never knocked again.

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    But one thing I don't understand is why Ferrari didn't design the oil filter adapter with the tube permanently in place. Just screw the filter over the tube. This way a filter with no tube would work. But I guess some idiots would use a too short filter and block the tube inlet.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Most filters have no anti drain back valve and a tube with no drain back valve still drains out.

FWIW the current design Fram PH8A has a tube, well designed finally but no valve. They have cured the internal crushing of the filter element that so many experienced but left the valve out so it acts like regular filter anyway.

FBB was right. I haven't seen any of these that don't drain eventually. The point really is to keep oil so it doesn't need to refill at every start.