Mondial 3.2 window speed vs. QV/8 or 308 series | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 window speed vs. QV/8 or 308 series

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by James in Denver, Feb 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I was going to post this in the "What have you done to your Mondial today?" thread, but I had a question, so I'll post it here.

Friday it was 74-ish here in Denver. YAY!

I was able to get the Mondial out for more than 3-4 miles and get her to "stretch her legs" a bit. :)

So, I had left the windows up since receiving the car, as I was told the electronics in the car had a few bugs.

The windows in my old 308 were slow as molasses, but I tried the windows on the 3.2 Friday, and they zipped up and down like a modern car!!! WOW!!! :)

Is this normal for a 3.2?

I don't have much history, so it's certainly possible relays could have been added at some point, but this is NOT like my 308QV at all!!!

James in Denver

2. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    James,
    The door windows in my '88 are fast and smooth. The rears are slower and need help getting up as they get significantly impeded by the weatherstripping etc. of the top mechanism ( which also adds to the early demise of the b pillar moldings).

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #3 Alden, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Mine are quick and smooth too.

A bit of Deoxit on the console switches stopped them from being sticky every 6 months or so and improved the window speed even more.

I used to think that stuff was snake oil, but I am sold now!
    Alden

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I second the Deoxit recommendation. A major problem avoider/solver for electrical issues. My 3.2 has none. The front windows work as per a modern car. The rears are a bit slower, but not by much.

5. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    QV and 8 are working with the steel wires on rollers. 3.2 and t have a better sistem with a steel spindle in a tube.

Guido

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I did a complete restoration of the window system on my Mondial 8, including rebuilding the motors and all new felt guides in the window frames. While much better than the "hand assist" previously, they still weren't as fast as the all original power windows on my 1988 3.2 Coupe.

7. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    In my 85 QV.

It wasn't working at all when I started. Afterwards, it works, but it is very slow.

I cleaned and lubed everything. cleaned the motor, the spool, lubed the entire cable.

It's an amazingly weird design.

Sid

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    1986 QV 3.2 Prugna Metalica Coupe

Both windows have been slow ever since I bought the car about four years ago. However, after 16,000 miles they have not gotten any worse.

9. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    Are the Mondial windows supposed to go up and down? Just kidding....all 4 of mine have completely stopped working in the last year....it's on the list.