Oil Accumulator | FerrariChat

Oil Accumulator

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by srephwed, Feb 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    #1 srephwed, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When I start my car it always seems like it takes days for the oil light to go out. I have used UFI and Baldwin with the same results. I have never had an oil accumulator till now. As you see in the pictures it is a breeze to install. Once charged before start up open valve and discharge oil. When gauges gets below 20 turn valve off. Start engine and light goes out immediately. Boy howdy is that nice. Run the rest of the day and do nothing to the valve. When you arrive home before stopping engine open valve and let pressure build till it stops. Then close valve and put it to bed. The reason I drive with the valve turned off is so that I do not have to add extra oil just to fill the accumulator. Part cost less than 200 dollars. I had hose made of braided hydraulic line to add some abrasion resistance. I did have to remove the filter base to install the elbow. That was the hardest part of the job. Hope this helps you all.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The oil light goes out as soon as it fires in mine, this mod is just coverning up a developing problem.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Or left a simple one unaddressed.

The cars need no modification to live long lives and we never rebuild engines for something this might help.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Are u using an oil too heavy for the ambient temp, hence it is taking longer to build up the pressure ?

5. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    My trouble is only after the car sits a week or more. All gears,pumps and bearings have clearances and gravity allows the oil to drain back to the sump even with the stand pipe. If I ran it everyday there would have never been an issue. I have heard others say the same thing.With all but 70 PSI idling I do not suspect a problem any where.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Yes i know the filter will drain itself- might be an idea to pull the pressure relief valve and check it-if i remember right it is adjusted with shims so you cannot do any harm with its settings. If it leaks just a little it will delay the pressure build up, but just a small passing will make no difference running as the oil pump has lots of extra capacity