Consolidated Performance Specs | FerrariChat

Consolidated Performance Specs

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, Mar 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1 paulchua, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi All,

I've consolidated all formal tests of the Mondial plus the source and put it all in one chart.

All these tests can be accessed on my resource site.
    https://mondialt.com/resources/

Bold Green means best model type
    Bold Red means worst of model type

Hope you find this interesting.

The best 'informal' number I've found was from a member here that took his stock 't' coupe to the drag strip. He got a 1/4 of 13.81 if he is to be believed.

13s Nothing to brag about circa 2017 of course, but for a 30 year old car? Not bad in my book and definitely falls in the 'sporty' category even today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Road and Track always does slow tests. Car and Driver seems to always get the best results for American tests. I wonder if R&T adjusts their numbers according to weather/humitity/temperature etc. after the test to standardize their results?

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #3 paulchua, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great question, I myself don't know - but each one of these tests are on my site! What I've seen is the European tests consistently get better numbers then US ones. My only explanation is the emissions stuff really hurts the US versions. If you live outside California, this is probably the best single mod you can do to your car to get extra performance. (possibly better sound?)

The other fact is the Mondial 8 was clearly being 'singled out' as the slow duck out in the 1980 EPA era. Why? Simply because the Ferrari nameplate is a double edged sword. It was judged with a different measuring stick. The Lambo Urraco (US version) and Maserati Marek (US version) both got 1/4s in the 17s! Even if you were to take 'bad' Mondial 8 reviews - it was still faster. It was a rough era (early 80s) when Vettes and and Aston Martins could only muster a shade under 16s with EPA regulations breathing down every manufacturers necks.

"Slow/worst Ferrari of week article" is a dime a dozen (yet another one today) - when was the last time you read/saw the "Slowest/Worst Lamborghini (Urraco)?

You don't.

Take a look at the other 2+2 competitors of the era: As I said many times - the Mondial while not the fastest, is by no means the 'worst' of the epoch. Want to bully and/or pick on something? Pick on Uncle Sam EPA regulators of the late 70s/ early 80s.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My Dad had a 928 of the era. I remember it as pulling quite well and being a very fun car to drive around in.

I think people get a little too hooked on stats. The Mondial pulled well for the era, but it also handled beautifully and took corners like a hot knife through butter. My car felt great before I sent it in for an overhaul. I can't wait to see what it feels like this spring.

Bottom line - Unless you're 16 years old and young, dumb, and full of...well you know....then who cares about 0-60 times anyway? 99.9% meaningless to real driving.

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well said Dave!!!