Rebuilding the radiator | FerrariChat

Rebuilding the radiator

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Mar 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #1 stekkefun4, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Although not from a Mondial, but from a GTB Turbo and in fact the same radiator as ours:

I removed the radiator yesterday because there was a leak exactly in the centre between the 2 vertical metal plates holding the metal sheets. Went to a repair shop with it and had it examined. After some investigation, it appears to be an issue caused by a faulty design. Usually, these horizontal layered sheets run across from left to right and are not separated in the centre. 95% of the car car radiators have continuous sheets, whereas Ferrari decided to split it up in the centre.

Mine is going to be refurbished with a Y-rafter pattern which greatly improves cooling.

Taking the radiator out of a Mondial is a piece of cake, but the GTB Turbo (328) is a pain in the neck, it fits to the last mm ! Took me 3 hours to get it out of there, following the workshop manual. The thing is completely stuck in there and you have only a couple of mm working space to be able to retract it.

Anyhow, I'll post some pics of the result in a couple of days.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Have you considered a lighter weight alternative? I assume a better design would be smaller and could fit better?

How's the rail underneath, when I changed out my mondi I saw that years of coolant spill (and people using water probably) had left some rust. Not much to replace, but needed doing. Also replaced the pads and insulation as these were pretty manky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I like to keep everything as authentic as possible. In case of the GTB turbo, there is no rail directly beneath the radiator, so the coolant was leaking on the plastic floor panel.

4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Ah a sensible design, as a mondial owner hadn't thought of that!!!

I suppose an Alu rad at same size painted black would be a costly luxury for little benefit.

V interesting to see how the new pattern works for cooling.

Look forward to your pics and writte up.

5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #5 stekkefun4, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, I got it back and mounted it into the car. Replaced all the flexibles and poured the liquid in. Result is very nice, I'll take it out for a drive and see what the change in temp is, because the guy told me it will nog cool much better than before.

BTW, removing and putting the rad back in in a Mondial is much easier because you have more space around the radiator. The 3x8 models are a big pain if you would ever need to redo a radiator...

6. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Looks good, I see what you mean about a tight fit! Good hear if you get a noticeable cooling change.