Parking Brake Light Fuse | FerrariChat

Parking Brake Light Fuse

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bell Bloke, Mar 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Guys, could anyone tell me where the parking brake light fuse is located on a 1983 Mondial QV.
    Basically the instrument light has stopped working when the hand brake is pulled and the centre light array near the gear shift is showing this fault.
    Many thanks Bell.

2. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    According to the Workshop manual for the QV, it is Fuse number 19 located in the front left fuse box (beside the spare tire). Top row of fuses, count from the center split towards the right, should be the 5th fuse.

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Yes I've checked every single fuse on that board and they are all good...mmm
    Any other thoughts?
    Regards Bell

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If it is setting the centre consol light off then it probably has power and its more chance its the bulb itself in the dashboard

5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Ah you mean it has a failsafe so that if the dash bulb has gone then it sets offthe consol panel led?

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If u lose the rear light filament the centre consol light comes on hence my thinking. If you put the handbrake on it must have power to the circuit for the alarm light to come on. Re the rear lights i seem to rememer they are dual bulbs and if 1 fails the alarm comes on, but you will still see the other lamp on- sort of a warning you only have 1 lamp left
    I had it come on once and took a while to find a failed rear bulb

7. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Has a connection with front pads wear warning light.Check if the wires on the pads are ok.
    Parking brake switch makes connection between parking brake light and negatif. Check if the connection with negatif is ok. (Hand brake itself)

Guido

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Bell, there is no link between the hand brake light failure and the check control warning light.
    Here is how it's wired:
    The instrument panel houses two brake related warning lights that are powered by the same supply as all the other IP items. They are activated by grounding at the other end, which are:
    - "P" symbol indicates the hand brake is pulled and/or the front pads are worn
    - "!" symbol indicates low brake fluid level and/or front-rear circuit pressure differential

The "!" is activated (grounded) via the check control panel, which receives its signal from the tank and/or pressure switch.

So:
    - If the hand brake light doesn't come on but other IP items work, it's likely a blown bulb.
    - If the check control brake light plus the "!" symbol is on, you have low fluid level and/or a pressure differential between the 2 circuits.

Hope this helps.
    Urs

9. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Bloody Posh, Thankyou guys......I will investigate and report back.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    That is going to keep him out of the pub for a few days then.

11. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Guys, what do you mean by 'pressure differencial between 2 circuits'..?
    Do you mean that the system needs bleeding?
    Cheers, Bell

12. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #12 afterburner, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bell Bloke. Sounds more like the parking brake switch is playing up....

On my 1985 QV, the hand brake light+switch works fine but my centre console brake failure light is permanently on (Brake Failure Indicator Valve shuttle switch has stuck or corroded). The braking system is working fine otherwise...

There's a few options if it is the Brake Failure Indicator Valve and nothing else is wrong:

1) Disconnect the ground wire from the brake failure indicator valve - centre console light should go out
    2) Buy a very expensive replacement valve for £700+
    3) Buy a "Volvo 240 242 244 245 262 Brake Hydraulic Line Junction MTC 1273052" switch and fit accordingly, performs same function as Ferrari unit - just has slightly different pipe junction angles so you will need to bend new pipes accordingly.

Cheers

14. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Excellent information this is all good stuff. Am away filming for a few days but will check it out on my return and report back.
    All the best Bell