Mondial 3.2 head or heart? Do I dare? | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 head or heart? Do I dare?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by mrsimon, Mar 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrsimon

mrsimon Rookie

Mar 24, 2017
    Barcelona
    Hi to all on the Mondial section. I've posted this here (as well as the new introductions section as it's a model specific here)
    2 days ago I went to see and test drove a Mondial 3.2 from 11/86 (86000kms). Cosmetically it's in pristine condition, with almost perfect blue paint at first glance (some rust evidence?), no accident evidence. The interior looks excellent: perfect White leather and excellent condition thick pile carpet, car door panels and instruments. It drove well, and all the gears went in 'smoothly', even second.
    It was serviced at the beginning of 2016 and since then has done 3000 kms. They changed the cambelt and 'fixed electrical problems' whatever they were, according to the invoice, . The only invoice they have.

Gripes?
    Noisy, whining air conditioning motor. (air con worked).
    Windscreen wipers were very slow! but electric windows worked well.

The vents on the Bonnet had no backing to them so you could see the battery and wiring below. I understand that there is some rain-proofing, right? Any owners able to answer this one. I'm intrigued!
    Also, this panel looked a different blue in the flesh and in some photos. Trrick of the light?

It was in the north of Spain for at least the last 7 years, the wettest part, which is a pity.
    Looking at some photos I took, I notice that to the right and below the Pininfarina badge there seems some evidence of mottling in the paint when the photo is enlarged (am I right?)Where the carpet has come away on the LHS footwell /Wheel arch it showed some signs of rust.

It's 36,000 euros (not 34 as I said previously). The dealer would fix the niggles that I'd spotted on the day (not the rust) and give it an oil and filters service. It seems that that is a good price compared to the UK, but expensive compared to the States.

Before committing, I'd get an expert mechanic to check it over. I'm looking on internet to find someone to get to this hard to get to location.

Any comments on the problems and experience of ownership? That is, envy paint scratching, theft, too much attention, too much hassle....?
    My Porsche 944 1987 (US import), which is farily sorted and 'does the job' (even though it also needs some expensive maintenance) and is a good logical German classic car choice (only 8500 euros from an officical dealer), would be the jilted vicitim if I got the Mondial for emotional reasons.

Head or heart?

Many thanks for any pointers in the 'right' direction.
    Here's a link to the ad while it's still for sale:
    http://vehiculos.autoscout24.es/Ferrari-Mondial-Gasolina-Azul-288929393
    Hope you can see these photos I took

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    At a glance that looks like and excellent example, lots of subtle signs that it has been well cared for. The mileage is a good sign, in that it must have been reliable and maintained to be driven, there is more things to worry about due to age rather than mileage on these cars.

A couple of things to note, you have the original metric wheel rims, the special Michelin TRX tires are available but quite expensive. Check date codes on the tires, even with tread they may be old and need replacing. It looks like the car has an aftermarket exhaust, as the tips stick out a bit more than stock. If it sounds good to you, then it is a positive, probably a stainless steel one, but ask if they still have the OEM exhaust, good to keep all original parts when possible.

Slow wipers are not uncommon, but try them when the windshield is wet by misting the screen, might work fine when actually needed. The linkages and motor are easily accessible under the black grill which comes off with a few screws, might have the wiper mechanisms lubed while the seller is doing a few odds and ends for you. The noisy ac fan, is it the fan in the interior that is noisy? There is also a fan in the front wheel well behind the ac condenser that usually goes on with the ac, and that can be noisy. The interior fan I think is probably a big effort to replace, need to research this more as its not a common area of failure.

There would be a plexiglass cover that is supposed to go over the battery, the plastic has one snap fitting. Should be a used one available somewhere. Would seem a good idea to keep rain off of the battery, so a cover would be a good idea.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/171x115/282d9b6de90e9a421ff861fcca42a84b/6/0/60641500_2.jpg

As for day to day ownership, the turning circle is wide, and with no power steering, parking in tight quarters takes some getting used to. Most people spot this car as rolling art, and don't seem to have the envy one can see with the new exotics, so I would expect thumbs up as the more common reaction.

Having owned and driven my Mondial for 12 years with no reliability issues whatsoever, I would remind you that parts are very expensive, and some are getting hard to track down. Red Bay Cars in Europe usually has some nice used items available, so with a bit of creativity (and time) you can usually source things. But this will not be like the Porsche, where normal mechanics could work on the car and source spares. So more ownership devotion is required, and a good garage along with some do it yourself capability will be important.

I also owned a Porsche 944 before my 1988 Mondial 3.2 Cab, and it was a totally different experience. There are no parts issues with the Porsche, and the car is much smaller and lighter, and very balanced so was very tossable. It was quite slow, but felt good to rev through the gears. In some ways I miss it, but the Mondial experience is much more raw/classic in feel and driving dynamic, so no point in comparing.

4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    The body area by the pinin badge is easy to see from the rear-side (i.e. inside engine bay) so you can take a look at both out and insides with wheel and liner off. There can be hidden rust, bottom A pillars, windscreen tops and base, under rear plastic buttresses, but little is structural so curing is relatively easy. Door insides can be water traps, and under the rad. Check battery tray. More important to perhaps check engine cradle suspension points (where the frames are rather than the fork/bolt points), as cracks here do occur. Also, check for damage to chassis e.g. from poor jacking. Not too serious, but an indication of care and possible bargaining point. All can be fixed but easier with engine out and will affect handling.

Hope that helps and happy motoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm pretty sure the wipers have a "fast" setting.

And I regret very much selling a 944 Turbo. That was the perfect car.

6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Check it out of course but that seems like a pretty tidy looking car.

From what I can tell, the Mondial is more respected across the pond, and thus a higher base asking price than us Americans are used to seeing.

Good luck.

7. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi Mrsimon,

What kind of mettalic blue is that , it looks good.

Thanks in advance,

audio research

8. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Love the color combo.

I would find a mondial that you like without major issues and jump right in.

Robb

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #9 paulchua, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Greetings, the car is beautiful!!!

Here is my advice (this will skew very conservative, I tend to approach vintage Ferrari from the "expect the worse" perspective, that way I am never disappointed)

Make sure you have an experienced mechanic familiar with the Mondial and take a look at it. This will cost you probably around $500 (give or take) They will find half the problems, (you will only discover the other half after you've bought it and drive around)

As I said, this mechanic will find X problems and quote Y price to you to fix.

Now Double Y - that's what you should expect first few months in costs, the Mechanic will find things only after he's been "in there"

After that, you'll find more problems which will of course cost more money.

I am assuming this car has just been sitting for a while. I would set aside 10-15K to bring it back to full glory.

So say the Mechanic finds $5,000 in stuff to fix - expect at the end of the day to spend more like $10K

Again, I hope I am wrong and overshooting. I want to hear you say, I bought it, mechanic found nothing, and just changed the oil, and I've now drove the car 10K miles! cost me $500! That would make me super happy! But I am giving you what I would plan for if I bought it.

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Paul Chua = Wise man.
    :)

11. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
  12. tonsito

tonsito Rookie

May 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    SERGIO MARTIN
    Hi,

I bought this car around 1 year ago. Finally I paid 34.000 € and the dealer repaired all the rust that the car had. Few weeks after I went to a specialized mechanic in Ferraris and they changed the spark plugs and wires, the expansion tank and solve some problems with the lights, around 3.000 €. Now the car is perfect and I am very happy with the purchase.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

read33, MauroV, paulchua and 2 others like this.
  13. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Time flies - nearly a year already!?! Congrats and well done. Looks great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautiful! Drive in good health my friend and congratulations again!

15. tonsito

tonsito Rookie

May 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    SERGIO MARTIN
    Thanks guys :)

paulchua likes this.