Questions about Mondial 3.2 oil, and oil pressure? | FerrariChat

Questions about Mondial 3.2 oil, and oil pressure?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by buck74, Apr 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buck74

buck74 Rookie

Dec 14, 2016
    Eau Claire, WI
    Full Name:
    Frank Buckles
    Wondering:
    1. If anyone could tell me what the oil pressure should be in the 3.2 when warmed up?
    2. The dealer I bought the car from told me they had changed the oil, looks new but it is an inch above Max on the dipstick, should I take some out?
    3 They told me they used 10W-40 Mobile One in Florida. In Wisconsin now, looking for recommendations on oil type, and weight.

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    1. Right on the middle of the gauge, 85 psi.
    2. Probably too much oil. When/how are you checking the oil level? Should be done a few minutes after shutdown, the tech probably checked it too soon and added more before the oil could drain back to the sump.
    3. No way I am getting into that discussion, lol!
    Alden

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

3. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    What he said. I would 'adjust' the oil. Congrats on the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    And read the manual.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Varies with RPM. At warm idle, and 10W40, I wouldn't be concerned if it was 40~30~or even 20 psi if it increased to a reasonable value at mid-higher RPM. Would typically be ~85 psi at mid-RPM, and above, as Alden indicated (your OM will have a drop dead spec -- something like 64 psi minimum at 5K RPM IIRC)

Calibrate us -- the distance between the MIN and MAX marks is about 2qts/2L. If 1" above is 1 qt overfull, I wouldn't worry about it too much -- many times on the wet sumps the racers add an extra qt to help prevent corner oil starvation. If 1" above = 2 qts, maybe more important to reduce the level.

Depends on your usage temperature/time-in-cold exposure. If you plan on leaving the car out overnight in winter and starting-up on a cold morning = you've got to go thinner on the low end. If during the winter, the coldest cold start-up might be in a garage at 40 deg F = 10W40 seems OKish.

JMOs.

6. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    If I recall, the oil pressure is always left of centre at idle when the car has warmed up and increases when the rpms increase...but it has been half a year since I last drove mine and with the weather we're having, it might be a while for me to double check :) When you look at some youtube videos of interior footage, you can see the same thing.

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Google checking oil level on 328 and it will pop up several f chat threads for quick reading if you don't have a manul yet.
    If you are checking on a dead cold engine it will show we'll above max on the stick. If its a wet sump 3.2 the manual says check 15 minutes after (full warm) shutdown.
    On my ex 2v 308 which had a flat dipstick after an oil change with the spec'd amount added I made a mark on the stick and always checked it cold. IMO that procedure had the least amount of variables. This method usually gets poo poo'd when I bring it up, but worked for me for the 15 years I had the car.