High idle question | FerrariChat

High idle question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 88MONDIAL, Apr 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    When I start my 82 it starts slowly and I give it just a slight touch of gas (couple of blips) once it catches and it then idles around 900rpm or so. I let it idle for about 2min's to get everything flowing a bit. I drive down my street and when I get to the end (about 4blocks), then it idles at about 2,100 rpm's. It stays that way for about 2 more stop signs (1.5miles total). So it's idling quite high. After that it stays solid again at 900rpm's from then on out. It does NOT have a high idle at start up or anytime during my 2min in the garage. After reading in here a bit, it appears everyone's DOES idle quickly at start up. What does your car do for the first few minute's after a dead cold start?

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    my car goes to 2K first coupe seconds then settles to 900-1k after that.

3. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I had an occasional startup issue; ended up I ran with the cold start disconnected for a long while, that seemed to sort issues.

Never had an over revving issue (plenty of others!!!) after. Changed out injectors and seals and cleaned / flushed fuel lines and system, that made a massive difference to smooth running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Check the gas cable is not snagging on the carpets, also get some wd 40 and spray the moving quadrant just behind the big alloy air inlet on top of the engine.
    It can stick and the spring does not close it fully at times.

5. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    What do you mean you ran with the "cold start disconnected"?

Thanks guys.

6. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    mine is just the opposite. It high idles at about 2K RPM for a couple of minutes, then drops to about 900-1000.

Check the cold start valve - it's that thing sticking out of the right side of the plenum. It may be sticking open and feeding extra fuel into the intake. If you need a new one, Jags and Volvos of the same era used the same valve.

I think there is also a thermocouple somewhere in the system, that controls the cold-start valve. But, I'm not clear on that one.

Sid

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A bad cold start valve will not cause a high idle.

8. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I imagine that replacing and cleaning my K Jet injection system and all the linkages had (the) impact.! But nonetheless I had the cold start plug disconnected and that seemed to make it run more consistently.
    Somewhere I have a bunch of notes about what the car did and what was the effect of various changes.

9. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    At the advice of several other forum members when I was in Europe with them, I disconnected my cold start injector (The 9th injector) a long time ago and the car starts and runs fine without it.

I live in Florida, so it is not ever really needed.

I understand it can stick and dump extra fuel into the plenum.
    Alden

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    one in a million. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning.

It is a far better bet to take out your teeth to avoid cavities.

Starting well with no active injector is usually a sign it is running too rich to begin with.

11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Idle should be high at start-up. Probably your AAV is stuck. That is located under the expansion tank. Cleaning it with WD-40 should fix that. Also, sounds like your throttle is not closing all the way sometimes, as mentioned. Add another throttle return spring to test it. Not the OEM type, but a long soft spring.

https://www.minisport.com/21a839-su-carb-throttle-return-spring-for-single-twin-carbs.html

12. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    What is the AAV? And are you talking about the coolant tank attached to the trunk in the rear?

My car runs well, it just doesn't go to high idle right away - not until I actually put it in gear and drive a few blocks, then after a min or 2 it's back to normal.

13. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Auxiliary Air Valve. Electric bypass of the throttle plate to allow greater air volume in fuel/air mix.

14. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
  16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #16 spicedriver, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Oh sorry, they didn't go under the coolant tank till '84. Yours should be just to the left of the throttle body. You can see the hoses bypassing the throttle plate. Test by squeezing the rear hose closed, when engine first starts. If squeezing that hose closed doesn't affect the idle, probably that AAV is stuck closed. Maybe driving a bit is jarring the valve open ?

http://images.clickedit.co.uk/6527/64639257.jpg

17. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Thank you for the information!