How to remove oil dipstick sensor | FerrariChat

How to remove oil dipstick sensor

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 88MONDIAL, Apr 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    To check the oil level on a Mondial 8, I'm do take off the sensor on the top first. I've read things about them breaking and causing problems with the readings on the dash. I don't want that to happen. Could someone explain how to safely remove it? I want to do an oil change this spring. Also, is a new crush washer on the drain (if there is one) recommended? I didn't order one when I ordered my filter from Ricambi. The car came with a Bosch oil filter and I ordered the UFI one as it has the anti backflow pipe on it so I want to get that changed out.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Assuming it is the same as the 3.2, you just pull the plug out. Why would you reuse a sump plug washer ?

3. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Because I totally forgot to order one from Ricambi.

4. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    All the UFI filters I have purchased came with new crush washers in the pkg. be sure your buying the real deal not some E-Bay knock off.. FYI.. Mark

5. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I just looked again on Ricambi's site. I bought the oil filter there 2 days ago. I just came across the UFI oil change "kit", which for $3 more you get a new crush washer and drain plug. Didn't see that when I made my order as the site isn't the easiest to work with. :(

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Local garage will have something to fit or get a box of assorted at local hardware store, pretty standard item

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    On the sensor, my 3.2 has this. It has always worked without issue. No need to remove anything that works. If we removed everything that was at risk of failing some day there would be no car left :)

I have found it handy. it does give some early warning. The oil check procedure is to wait about 15 minutes before checking level on a warm car. I find that if on a drive I shut the engine down and then start soon after the warning light will come on if I'm only 1/2 or so quart low. If I shut it off and wait 15 minutes it does not come on. I hope that makes sense. It shows lower because the oil has not drained down yet. On my cross country journeys if it came on at a gas station I'd add 1/2 quart and be good to go. I have never had it come on while driving, I believe the system only comes on if oil is low when ignition is initially turned on.

8. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I meant, remove it in order to check the oil level on the dip stick. Am I not thinking this correctly? You have to pull the sensor on the top off first before you pull out the dipstick to check the level? Is that what needs to be done? Please clarify.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Just pull the plug out of the dip stick head

10. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Does the 8 have a different dipstick as the QV versions? Mine just pulls out and has a metal handle at the end.
    Also, I always use a torque wrench to retighten the oil plug...you have to be careful with aluminum.

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    yeah, should just be two wires going to it that go into a plug that slips in. Just pull it out if that is what you have.

12. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Sounds good, thanks!

13. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    ... but don't pull on the two wires because over time they will break! Pull on the square-ish plastic plug body. J

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA