stranded today due to short in Battery Disconnect Switch | FerrariChat

stranded today due to short in Battery Disconnect Switch

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by djs308, Apr 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Got stranded today – first time for me in 3 years with my Mondial. Always have it on the battery charger. Drove it this afternoon, no problem at all. Parked it for about 20-30 minutes and went to start it again. Turned the key, and got one click before it went dead.
    I mean, it was DEAD. No lights of ANY kind, and of course, no start. I checked the battery, checked fuses, everything *seemed* ok. Tried jumping it. No luck there either. I had a feeling it was some connector or wire loose but everything looked and felt ok. My troubleshooting skills are extremely limited and I also had my wife and son in the car too, so had to deal with it quickly.

Got it towed to my mechanic, who thankfully was able to meet me on a Sunday and he took a look. After jiggling the battery disconnect switch, the Mondial came back ALIVE. Got power, lights, and everything! Engine fired right up! He thinks the battery is ok as it had plenty of juice, but something with the battery disconnect switch is flaky and shorting something. May be it's corroded internally? NLA part, so I hope it can be cleaned up! He thought it might be better to just bypass the switch entirely, if it can't be replaced or cleaned up sufficiently. Pros and cons to doing that?

Secondarily, my fuse box seems to be on the way out. I know this has been covered many times before, and various opinions on which route to take with that. So I need to research this subject anew.

Anyone else experience a flaky disconnect switch?

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I had the exact same problem. This has come up a number of times and I'd read about it. Thankfully when mine died I cycled it a few times and it's been fine ever since. I never tried to pull it apart. I think it's a common failure spot.

3. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Interesting...
    My mechanic had even mentioned cycling it a few times might be enough to loosen whatever crud may be on the contacts. I hope that will be sufficient here, knowing that a new one is not available.

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I know a number of people
    Have eliminated them. You might try summit racing and just search battery disconnect. There should be something that would work. Or just do what I did. When I park it for a while I use the disconnect so I do use it periodically now.

5. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Yes. Sometime ago and I got an OEM and replaced the switch, but later bypassed anyway.

It isn't a particularly hi tech piece of kit and it seamed it would be fine, but eventually go south and added a weak link for all the gremlins anyway. If I remember it really wasn't a high end part. I found the grounds were not great in places anyway and this didn't help.

Personally, if originality is key I'd clean up (or keep the pieces), but don't worry about fitting without it. There are plenty of aftermarket alternatives if you require a disconnect, e.g. For servicing / security.

No doubt others will have different experiences. Have a good look at the part and see what you think. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Get a disconnect like this:

Battery Disconnect Switch

It's much too simple for anything to go wrong. You might have to bypass the original switch. Disconnect the battery every time you charge it.

7. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    All very helpful suggestions, thanks!
    Originality isn't a huge criteria at this point. Not entering the car in any judged concorsos. Another potential electrical weak point in my car is the alarm system that's been in there since the 80s. It still works, but no doubt should probably be removed. I haven't done so as yet because who knows just what fresh mess would be uncovered lurking in that system!

8. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    And that's assuming the mice don't attack you!!! Seriously, another weak point on mine was the engine ground and the actual plug connector for main power. Addressing those made a useful difference.

9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    That would be the contrary of a short...it disconnected.
    The switch is on the negative side.
    Your battery's negative terminal wasn't connected to the chassis anymore.
    In fact, if it did short to the chassis, you wouldn't notice it. Everything would still work but you wouldn't be able to disconnect it.

Cycle it using contact cleaner and it should be fine.

10. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Yes, going to be trying that first. Hoping it is just that simple a fix. Thanks.

11. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    where is this, got a photo please?

12. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    ahah its on the battery terminal (sorry followed the link from above)

13. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    First bit I replaced (along with the battery) when I got my Mondi was the disconnect switch. It's a cheap bit of insurance against problems like what OP experienced.

It can double as a security device if you put a keyed switch in its place.

I just got a nice plain chrome switch from here: Battery Switches | JEGS

14. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #14 Alden, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think this stupid switch might have been a legal requirement for US cars. My Euro car doesn't have one and never did

16. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    My '88 3.2 has one as well...US model...I have never used it though. Seems pretty simple to bypass if you want to get rid of it.

17. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Took original on the 3.2 apart & subsequently replaced original w/ another used/functioning one from GT Car Parts - bypass would be easy also.

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not a US requirement. Parts book shows it as applicable for all markets and I have worked on many European versions that had them.

288 had them and no 288 was ever built for US market.

19. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    My UK-delivered QV and my father's French delivered GT4 both have an original switch, which by the way is mentioned in the Owners Manual.

20. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Ditto.

21. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Mine works fine, but you do have to do some maintenance on them from time to time.

A simple spray of DeOxit (my new wonder drug!) then rotate it on and off a few times a couple of times a year.

And it is a very useful way to disconnect EVERYTHING electrical when working on the car.

This is especially useful when working on the headlights to keep them in the up position and keep them from accidently operating and slicing off a finger.
    Alden

22. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Instead of Deoxit, some people use Isopropyl alcohol. Appearantly it has a similar deoxifying quality...and it evaporates quickly without leaving a residue.

23. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I don't know about that, but I always had to clean my window switches with standard contact cleaner every 3-4 months, when hit them with DeOxit, not only did they work more reliably/better/faster, but I have not re-treated them for a year or so.

I did take the some of the spray and put some in a pinpoint oiler. The stuff is expensive for what you get and even though the spray can has H/M/L adjustments for the spray volume, even the low setting was putting out way too much, unless you were spraying a 10 pin contact or the equivalent.
    Alden

24. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    The battery disconnect "kill switch" has paid for itself many, many times over - in a single encounter I had with my son! "Dad. While you were on the trip the Mondial wouldn't start. Must be something wrong with the car. I didn't break it!"

Wink, wink!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat