Mondial T Cabriolet's: Euro vs. US spec.- questions | FerrariChat

Mondial T Cabriolet's: Euro vs. US spec.- questions

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by sixcarbs, May 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Good evening,

Trying to educate myself on Mondial T Cabriolets. I have tried the search and mainly come up with non-T Mondials and mostly discussions about whether or not they will pass smog.

I live in Europe now so the smog tests are not an issue here, more concerned about what is original for each version.

So what are the differences? Compression ratio, smog equipment or not, bumpers, and seat belts? I see some with front seat belts anchored to the rear seat center console and others without. I have also seen some motorized mice seat belts, but either the pictures are not good or they are not on all the cars.

Thanks,

Sixcarbs

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I believe the absence of cats and extra rear bumper reflectors is just about it.

3. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Up to and including the 3.2, there were not Cat's on the Euro Mondials, but I would presume that the T had Cat's even in Europe. Front Foglights/turning indicators are probably also different as well.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yes! I forgot about the front log lamps! I know the Euro versions seemed to have 5 more HP - I just assumed that was because of the cats.

Cheers

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Euro 348s were the first with cats standard so I would think the T got them also.

6. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    European PS (Pferdestaerke) vs American HP...if you look at official power ratings, the European cars are always a bit higher rated than the Americans because of a different method to calculate the power. At 300hp, that would be around 4-5 more in Europe.

7. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Euro QV's had higher compression. Rear fog lights and the absence of the cheese grater over the muffler are a couple things I noticed. Also on the front of my QV the marker lights on the front fenders are only about 3/4 x 2 1/2 and very expensive.

8. mistral95

mistral95 Rookie

Jun 19, 2015
    Paris France
    Was there a smog air pump on US Mondial T? I am pretty sure that Euro T did not have air pump.
    Most visible difference is lack of side markers on Euro T, and different font bumper.
    On some Euro Mondial T, the cats were introduced later during the model life, depending on the applicable laws at the time in each country.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    ah! I see. Thank you!

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    If I may, that's not entirely correct :) the Swiss 3.2 has a CAT and a floorpan underneath the engine plus a totally different gear ratio and a different suspension setup.

UK cars have different front fog lenses compared to the rest of Europe.

For the rest all the comments are valid.

HTH
    Tijn

11. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No smog pump on 89T us spec. Has a manafold at exhaust with a vacuum valve energized when motor is cold. You can hear the exhaust noise at the air intake when cold. Turns. Off at what I would guess 100 degrees F water temp. I believe is is actually exhaust resurculation.

12. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    My Euro 3.2 has different front turn signal lens, rear fog lamps and no cat / different muffler.. According to specs the HP is a bit higher as state from Paul C.

13. Rogern

Rogern Rookie

Feb 8, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Roger
    I have an early 89 T Coupe (Euro) and it does not have cat's. I looked at several cars in Germany and Switzerland before I decided, and all had cat's. There are straight pipes where the cat's should be with welded on plates with Ferrari written on it so i guess its original?

14. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

Yes mine (Euro 89 coupe) also doesn't have cats and it looks to be standard. From what I read, the very first Euro Mondial T were produced without cats..?

15. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    My '89 T is number 1 of 43 imported for US distribution and does have cats.

16. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Not all Euro 348s came with converters. I wonder if the same is true for Mondial Ts.