modial t motronic engine fault diagnosis | FerrariChat

modial t motronic engine fault diagnosis

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by elefunkd, May 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elefunkd

elefunkd Rookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Good day all.

I am new to the cars, and potentially purchasing a mondial T in a week.

Researching as much as time will allow, but I was unsuccessful in finding information on how to retrieve engine fault codes as well as the dynamic suspension fault codes.

Thank you in advance for any input or direction.

-Tomasz

2. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    Have a look at my348.com

3. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    my348.com is must reading for a Mondial t owner. The buttons for the ECUs are located in the trunk of the Mondial t. There are two quarter turn screws to remove the firewall cover. But there's a catch, only later Montial Ts with the Motronic 2.7 have the buttons. Easiest way to tell that I know of it to open the engine lid and see if there is a throttle position sensor on both air intakes. If only one then it is the Motronic 2.5 and you can't get the engine codes without a specialized computer. I don't know about suspension codes. I think you may need a reader for that also.

Good luck with your purchase.

Dave

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Let us know what codes come up, we may be able to help diagnose!

Cheers

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Motronic 2.5 had no self diagnosis function of any kind. 2.5 was only present for a few months on the early 89's. All others had 2.7.

6. elefunkd

elefunkd Rookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Gentlemen, thank you for your input and advice.
    After looking at the vehicle, I have decided not to purchase it after all.
    I must admit it was not an easy decision as aside from the excitement at the prospect of owning the vehicle, my wife and I were planning to drive it home halfway across Canada. A 348 was next on my hit-list, however with the maturing prices, it puts it too close to F360 and even f430 territory.... and although I much prefer the styling of the 348 (prettiest ferrari in my eyes), the performance difference is too great to ignore.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    thanks for updating us on your progress! I wish you well on your journey and hope you find the right car.

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sounds like project scope creep. With every price point the "next best" is only a few dollars more. But don't forget your total cost of ownership.

And for the 348, values (not prices) have plateaued and stayed the same for a year or more. So now is probably the best time to buy a good 348.

9. elefunkd

elefunkd Rookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Definitely a significant case of budget creep.

348 prices here in Canada range from $80k to well over $100k, whereas the F360 starts at 100k.
    I cannot help but think, and correct me if I am wrong, that the F360 must be slightly above its lowest, and slowly gaining.
    I have not completely given up on the 348, however, having driven a mondial T, I found the power to be underwhelming to say the least.... perhaps it was in a poor state of tune.
    It was this revelation that nudged me to look at the f360 and the performance it has to offer.

Granted, performance is not my main driving factor here, if it were, a 996TT can be had for half as much as the F360.... but I do seek some thrills as I plan on driving whatever I decide to acquire.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    definitely give the 360 a test drive, let us know your thoughts!

Cheers