Mondial - Ferrari Challenge Laguna Seca | FerrariChat

Mondial - Ferrari Challenge Laguna Seca

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, May 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1 paulchua, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    So I had the pleasure of participating in this year's Ferrari Challenge owner event.

We did a couple lapping sessions, it was a lot of fun!

Here is the video of my first lap out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_B5Z8XsuCQ

Here are my lap times.

First Run
    3 Minutes 10 Seconds
    10:09:28
    10:12:38

Second Run
    3 Minutes 5 Seconds
    10:40:443
    10:43:49

Third Run
    2 Minute 43 Seconds
    10:43:06
    10:45:49

Fourth Run
    2 Minutes 36 Seconds
    16:19:31
    16:22:07

Fifth Run
    2 Minutes 29 Seconds
    16:22:07
    16:24:36

Sixth Run
    2 Minutes 22 Seconds
    16:24:36
    16:26:58

Seventh Run
    2 Minutes 22 Seconds
    16:26:58
    16:29:20

Eighth Run
    2 Minutes 17 Seconds
    16:29:20
    16:31:37

Hope to break 2:00 next time with proper training.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  3. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Awesome video!
    It was also good to see that good weather actually exists so where in the Country.
    Nothing but grey, rainy skies here in MA.

4. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Paul, I watched you lapping in the Mondial. Looking smooth! The 3.4 sounded nice!

5. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Very nice. Such a classic track!

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I was so sloooowwww on that track. There was a lot of people pissed off at me.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Paul

Great to see you man.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Ron: Thank you so much for your kind words! I appreciate the good wishes and hope the better weather is headed your way, my friend!

Allen S. I appreciate your note! Did you get a chance to hit the track? Cheers

IndyJones: I agree, super fun, can't way to get back!

Mitch: Mitch, it's all relative, you were not slow - but next to a 488 or F12 tdf - of course! I doubt anybody was pissed at you! If they were, they didn't appreciate the significance and beauty of having a 348 'Challenge' on deck - I know I did! I saw you on track, and you looked great! Hope to see you again soon.

Thanks All!

9. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Looks like fun to me. I'm envious!

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Allen, btw I was looking for you all day!! Your coupe is georgeous!! I made sure to vote for #17!!!

:)

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks David, they have these events all over the country - definitely worth the $250 (on day) /$450 (2 day) price.

You get free food (breakfast, lunch, dinner), free gifts, and get about 20 runs if you do each session. Definitely got my monies worth!!! You should definitely give it a go!

P.S.

My personal 'challenge' is to beat Jeremy Clarkson's 2004 Acura NSX time of 1:57

I think I can pull it of considering on the 8th run ever (plus I've only tracked a few times - Clarkson has a lifetime of track time) I got 2:17.

I was only going 8/10ths. I think with training, proper instruction, and practice I can hit 1:56.

Clarkson said the the Testrarossa was a dog and the Mondial was its dinner. - I want him to eat his words with a car that's 15 years older, has 2 back seats, is a convertible, AND 2 Gens behind (04' NSX had already gone through several updates)

Should be fun!

12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Paul, what is the entity for the track days? Is it FCA or someone else?

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi David,

Here is the rest of the calendar, you should be able to get in touch with your local dealership to inquire about details. It's through Ferrari North America.

09 JUNE - 11 JUNE MONTREAL
    14 JULY - 16 JULY MOSPORT
    11 AUGUST - 13 AUGUST ROAD AMERICA
    15 SEPTEMBER - 17 SEPTEMBER AUSTIN
    29 SEPTEMBER - 01 OCTOBER HOMESTEAD

14. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Sorry to be negative, but I wouldn't track these cars.

A race car should have a roll cage, 5 point harness, racing seat, and fuel cell. If your road car flips over, you could easily be killed. If the fuel tank ruptures, fuel will spill everywhere.

Without a dry sump, the oil sloshes around, and could uncover the pick-up in hard cornering. Without oil pressure, your main and rod bearings will be damaged. The oil also becomes foamy, and less effective. I've never seen stock brakes that could handle a track. You will likely damage the rotors, and the calipers. The heat could also boil the brake fluid. You should replace the brake fluid before, and after each event. Front brakes should have large vents to cool them down. You are also putting undue stress on the suspension components, e.g. wheel bearings, which will wear out faster.

These are low production number cars, and will be worth a lot of money in the future. Just look what happened to the Dinos ! Better to get a 911, or Z car for the track. Then you can tear it apart, and put the proper safety gear in place. JMHO.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello Spicedriver,

I've given your post some thought, and you know what? I think you're right. Multiple other cars would be safer to track.

I feel that great respect needs to be given to the car and track, and moderation will be the name of the game.

I actually don't have the time or money to track that often, so sessions should be pretty far apart! One thing to point out is there are the calmer touring sessions as well - those are relatively slower.

Cheers

16. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    If you were truly sorry, you wouldn't have pissed all over OP's awesome track day. Just like you did in another thread.

Do you really think you need to tell a grown man it's dangerous to drive on a track? What am I missing in OP's posts that's this big red flag that he needs a lecture on safety?

A dry sump isn't the only solution to preventing starvation. These engines have baffles and shields in the sump to ensure that the pick-up isn't starved under cornering. They're designed to be driven hard...

Did you watch OP's video? He didn't run off the track due to excessive brake fade. The brakes are fine. A little heat isn't going to kill the calipers.

Wheel bearings are part of the suspension? And here I thought I knew something about cars...

Where you going with this whole argumentum ad metum act? Christ, it's annoying.

17. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Yes, every Ferrari made was designed to be driven hard on a race track, with no safety gear, or mechanical upgrades. Even though the Challenge kit comes with a roll cage, racing seats, racing harness, fire suppression system, and upgraded brakes. They're really not necessary, because YOU said so.

SCCA would never allow a stock Ferrari to race, because they HAVE decades of racing experience.

And if you can't read others' opinions without getting "annoyed", perhaps you should stay off internet forums.

18. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Racing is hard on cars, trust me. Your car sounds, and runs great BTW !

My former driving instructors (Gilbert Pedneault & Jacques Couture) would tell you with a heavy French accent, to always keep your hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. And when you're on the long straightaway and not too busy, take a look at your gauges.

19. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    Paul,

Thanks for sharing and great progress on lap times through the day! I'm curious what your camera setup was, could you provide details?

best,
    Cody

20. Karsya Eins

Karsya Eins Karting

Jun 17, 2014
    Albany, NY
    Full Name:
    Demostene Romanucci
    Awesome! My thoughts were "Ooo an opportunity to run without a roll bar, on the relative safety of a track!"

You looked and sounded gentle with the car (and engine) while on a safe pace with in your, and the car's limits. Thank you for the video.

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    blownfuse and spice driver: thank you for my the post my friends! I do think that extreme safety needs to be always considered. I've seen a lot crazy videos in Laguna where people seem to just crash out of the blue in relatively slow speeds! That said, I think my next time out - I will go with a professional instructor to ensure I'm doing this right.

I appreciate all the comments, and I do sincerely believe safety should always be paramount!

22. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Spicedriver, your own words undermine your diatribe. You said, "... SCCA would never would allow a stock Ferrari to RACE ...". So where is the racing in the OP's video? That isn't racing, it's spirited driving, which in this case happens to be on a track. I didn't see any four-wheel drifts, trail braking, or any other racing behavior. I'm sure most Mondial owners drive that hard on a regular basis.
    While I sense you are trying to be helpful, and BTW your points about RACING a stock Mondial are valid, I think you come off a bit as a killjoy here. Just my two cents

23. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Must have been one awesome experience driving at Laguna Seca. I don't think I would have had the guts to take my Mondial out for such a track event...definitely one of the most interesting tracks out there. I remember seeing a Top Gear episode where they had to take a NSX and beat the Playstation time on the real track. The Corkscrew corners must be scary to drive through :) The Mondial must be perfect for such a track with the neutral balance. Thanks for sharing the videos...

24. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    BTW, I just checked and Jeremy Clarkson managed 1:57 min with the 2004 NSX...so you're not that far off from his run (considering he was probably abusing the car and you were playing it a bit safe).

25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Spicey,

I thought about this a lot. I was there on that track, same time as Paul. You are absolutely correct that a track is no place to push your car to the limit because going beyond the limits has dire consequences, at least monetary and possibly even life and limbs.

There was a 2 car incident during the first lap of the real Challenge Race where one 488 Challenge rear ended another Challenge car 200 feet from the starting line causing both cars to be towed and 3 laps on yellow flag.

However, the owner laps events are really not racing, more like spirited driving. There were some hot shoes out there trying to prove to themselves and everyone else that they were faster than everyone else but we have that even on the streets where much more are at risk. And we live with that. Last weekend was about driving a Ferrari on the famous Laguna Seca falling through the Cork Screw, and it was fun.

As for me, I did not really want to push myself to 9/10 because I cannot afford to replace the Challenge car. There is none for sale. I was slow, and it's alright with me.

If I ever catch that racing bug, I would get a used e36 M3, put racing tires on, maybe a roll cage, helmet, fire extinguisher, and blast away. Or, just lay down and let it pass.