Azzurro QV | FerrariChat

Azzurro QV

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MauroV, May 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    #1 MauroV, May 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After nearly 2 years at the local carrozzeria, it seems like I may one day get the car back. They have promised to paint inside the door frames, refit the doors and start on the glass this week.

Its been slow but the quality of the work is excellent. This is the original blue. As far as I can tell it was quite a rare colour and I much prefer it to the yellow with black door handles and badges that someone put on the car in the 1980s. Amazingly they did that when the car was only 6 years old.

I decided to go for body coloured bumpers rather than the original black. I think blue bumpers go well with the 348 wheels.

The next thing is to get it serviced then it has to go back to Ferrari to be inspected so I can get a certificate of conformity (scheda tecnica) to get the car onto Italian plates. I guess Ferrari will notice it has the wrong size wheels in which case I may need to find a set of originals. With original wheels perhaps it would look better with black bumpers so I may yet have to change back to black.

I might be looking for someone willing to swop a set of original wheels for a set of 348 wheels at some point!

Mauro
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Mauro, She looks really nice in blue, I am a bit bias on blue Mondials thou :)
    It might be nice to keep the bumpers in black it helps to give a bit of contrast and helps the body colour pop, but all a personal thing, well done on the long Reston it can be tough when it takes so long but she will be well sorted for the years to come :)
    Cheers,
    Rob.

3. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting her back.

4. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Mauro,

The car will look absolutely fabulous! Personally, I would have kept the color of the bumpers in black, fits that period a bit better. I hope the rest of your car's rebuild will go smoothly.

5. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Thank you. I've agonised over what colour to do the bumpers and I'm still not 100% certain I've made the right decision. I can always change it back later.

6. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    #6 djs308, May 21, 2017
  7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Very nice!

Here's wishing you many pleasant drives with her once you get her back.
    Alden

8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm also in the "black bumper is better" brigade, so I'd vote for that, but the body colour looks great!

9. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I'd go with body colored Bumpers AND body colored Buttress. But not one or the other.

10. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Thanks for all your comments. The azzurro QV with black bumpers and 348 wheels looks fabulous. I may have to rethink my plan. I'm not sure I agree about body colored rear buttress spoilers, I think they always look good in black. But thanks for support on the bumper colour. It seems black bumpers is the majority opinion however!

11. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    #11 sidtx, May 22, 2017
    Of course, like some of the previous posters, I may be a bit biased towards blue Mondials (mine is Blue Sera).

The quality of the work looks fantastic.

Sid

12. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Blue sera looks fabulous. That's the colour my wife thought she was getting : )

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    wow what a beautiful color!! great job!

14. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    #14 MauroV, Jun 5, 2017
  15. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey, wasn't it a very tough job to remove the front windscreen? Will it be replaced by a new one?

16. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Yes, they tried to remove it intact, even though it had quite a bad stone chip, but it broke on removal. Luckily I managed to source a used one for a good price.

17. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I have a T that I'm currently parting out, but I have left the windscreen in there so far and I think that I will leave it in there... Too risky to remove

18. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    They struggled with the rear window as well. Fortunately it came out and went back in ok but I was expecting to have to find a replacement.

19. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    Great colour! I have never seem in myself. At this moment I have a QV in silver, and lover the black details like the bumpers. It has just 38500 kms after 35 years.

20. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Very nice! So, did Mondials come in Blue Sera, Azzurro, & Tour de France , or were there other blue colors as well? What would be very cool, but difficult to arrange, is to look at every blue Mondial color with the cars parked nose-to-tail in the bright sunshine. So many colors look very different in the shade, under florescent lights, bright sun, etc.

21. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    I think they did blue sera, blue chiaro and blue azzurro. You are right about the colours being very different in sunlight. The spec of my car said blue azzurro but the remnants of blue still on the car after it got changed to yellow looked quite dark. It was only when I got some original blue out in the daylight that I was sure that it really had been azzurro.

22. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    That looks outrageously good.

23. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Oh wow that's going to go back together nice!

24. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    its much easier to go from blue bumpers to black than vice versa, or even wrap/unwrap them black - so I reckon you are taking the enlightened path whichever way you end up.